Stutzman, Ralph, S/Sgt

 TWS Ribbon Bar
 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
13 kb
View Time Line View Family Time Line
Last Rank
Staff Sergeant
Last Service Branch
Last Primary MOS
805-Cryptographic Technician
Last MOS Group
Signal Corps (Enlisted)
Primary Unit
1944-1945, AAF 807, 347th Airdrome Squadron
Service Years
1943 - 1945
Official/Unofficial US Army Certificates
Cold War Certificate

Staff Sergeant

Two Overseas Service Bars

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by LTC Ralph Stutzman to remember Stutzman, Ralph, S/Sgt.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Contact Info
Home Town
Not Specified
Last Address
Crystal Springs

Date of Passing
Jun 16, 1989
Location of Interment
Not Specified
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Not Specified

 Official Badges 

Honorably Discharged WW II

 Unofficial Badges 

Cold War Medal Cold War Veteran

 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
Ralph returned to Kansas after the war to resume his caree as an educator.  He taught in Langdon, Kansas, was a principal in Attica (his home town), and was a superintendent in Little River, Kansas.  In 1949, Ralph and Hetty went to Germany to work for the government and ultimately became a superintendent of Army  Dependent Schools (precursor to Department of Defense schools).  Their only son was born in 1949 in Heidelberg, German, and they remained in Germany for 11 years with the exception of a year in France (1954-1955).  In 1960 they returned to the States when Ralph accepted a professor position at Oklahoma College for Women (now known as University of Arts and Sciences of Oklahoma).  Ralph and the family moved to Stevensville, Michigan, in 1964 when he accepted a position teaching at Lake Michigan College.  He remained there until he retired in 1974 as the Dean of Arts and Sciences.  Ralph and Hetty retired to Harper, Kansas, where Hetty died on 28 March 1975.  Ralph remarried to Gladys Kuykendall Brown in 1976 and moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, before finally settling in Sun City, Arizona, where he died of a stroke on 16 June 1989.  He is buried next to Hetty in Crystal Springs, Kansas, less than two miles from where he was born.

Also on Air Force Together We Served:
Other Comments:
Ralph loved to write and maintained a journal throughout his tour with the 347th Airdrome Squadron while in the CBI.  It provides an almost daily record of the experiences of the Communications Section between November 1944 and September 1945.  On 2 September 1945, he broke his arm as his plane landed in Luichow, China.  He had left his seat to begin releasing the cargo to save time unloading as the airplane was taxiing to the hanger and fell when the airplane hit a crater in the runway.  He was mustered out of the 347th Airdrome Squadron on 8 September 1945 to return to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, for discharge.  Flying from Luichow to Nanning, China (8 September 1945) and on to Kunming, China (8 September 1945), he was admitted to the hospital in Kunming because his arm had become infected inside his cast.  After being released from the hospital on 14 September 1945 he flew over the "Hump" to Chabua, India (14 September 1945).  From there he flew to Delhi, India, (18 September 1945) and on to Karachi, India, (18 September 1945) where he boarded the Liberty Ship J. Sterling Morton on 1 October 1945.  The Morton left Karachi on 1 October and sailed across the Indian  Ocean and into the Straits of Suez and the Red Sea on 5 October 1945.  They entered the Suez Canal on 8 October 1945 and docked in Port Said in the Mediterranean Sea (8 October 1945).  On 9 October 1945 the Morton departed Port Said and sailed in the Mederterranean Sea, passing Crete (10 October 1945), Sicily (11 October 1945), Malta (11 October 1945), Harbor of Bizert (Tunisia--12 October 1945), and the Rock of Gibraltor (14 October 1945) before entering the Atlantic Ocean (14 October 1945).  The J. Sterling Morton arrived at Dock 88 in New York City on 22 October 1945 as the first transport from the CBI to Return to New York.  He disembarked on 22 October and went by rail to Camp Kilmer.  He departed Camp Kilmer by rail on 23 October and arrived in Kansas City, Missouri, and Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, on 25 October 1945.  He remained at Fort Leavenworth until he was discharged on 27 October 1945.
 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar


 Enlisted/Officer Basic Training
  1943, USAAF Basic Training (Miami Beach, FL)34
 Unit Assignments
5th Technical School Squadron China-Burma-India (CBI)
  1944-1944, AAF 807, 5th Technical School Squadron
  1944-1944, AAF 807, 15th Academic Squadron
  1944-1945, AAF 807, 347th Airdrome Squadron
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1943-1945 WWII - Asiatic-Pacific Theater16
 Colleges Attended 
Southwestern CollegeUniversity of Kansas
  1925-1929, Southwestern College
  1929-1930, University of Kansas
Copyright Inc 2003-2011