Anderson, George L, Cpl

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
View Time Line
Last Rank
Last Service Branch
Medical Corps
Last Primary MOS
657-Medical Aidman
Last MOS Group
Medical Department (Enlisted)
Primary Unit
1941-1944, Philippine Division
Service Years
1941 - 1944


 Last Photo   Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Felix Cervantes, III (Admiral Ese) to remember Anderson, George L, Cpl.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Last Address

Casualty Date
Oct 08, 1944
Hostile, Died
Unknown, Not Reported
World War II
Location of Interment
Manila American Cemetery - Taguig City, Philippines
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Tablets of the Missing

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
Vietnam Veterans Memorial
  1944, Vietnam Veterans Memorial [Verified] - Assoc. Page

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

 Unit Assignments/ Advancement Schools
Philippine Division
  1941-1944, Philippine Division
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1941-1942 WWII - Asiatic-Pacific Theater/Philippine Islands Campaign (1941-42)
  1942-1942 Philippine Islands Campaign (1941-42)/Bataan Death March
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity

Corporal George Anderson enlistedwith the Army Medical Department from Chicago on 24 Septamber 1941.  He had had a year of college prior to his enlistment.

erved with the Medical Department.

He was held as a POW of the Japanese. at Camp 4, Camp O'Donnel, Luzon, Philippines. He died as a POW in October 1944.



Hokusen Maru on October 1944 from Las Pinas Camp.

The Hokusen Maru was known by most POWs as the Benjo Maru or the Haro Maru.  On 1 Ocotober 1944 approximately 1,100 American POWS boarded the Hokusen Maru at PIer 7 at the Manila dock area.  They suffered in the cargo holds until 3 October 1944 before the ship joined a convoy and departed Manila.  

The convoy was attacked by submarines on two different occasions and the Hokusen Maru was one of only four ships left in the convoy to arrive at Hong Kong on 11 October 1944.  The ship remained in the harbor where it was subjected to numerous air attacks by the Allied governments.  On 21 October. the ship departed for Formosa and arrived at Takao, Formosa on 21 October 1944.  These POWS then boarded the Melbourne Maru and arrived at Port Moji, Kyushu, Japan on 23 January 1945.

Not Specified
Copyright Inc 2003-2011