Woodford, Howard E., S/Sgt

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
18 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Staff Sergeant
Last Service Branch
Last MOS Group
Infantry (Enlisted)
Service Years
1942 - 1945

Staff Sergeant

One Service Stripe

Two Overseas Service Bars

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by SSG Clentis D. Turnbow to remember Woodford, Howard E., S/Sgt.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Last Address
Not Specified

Casualty Date
Jun 06, 1945
Hostile, Died of Wounds
Gun, Small Arms Fire
World War II
Location of Interment
Green Lawn Memorial Park - Akron, Ohio
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Section I, Masonic Garden

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
World War II Fallen
  2004, World War II Fallen [Verified]

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

Combat Infantryman 1st Award

 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1944-1945 WWII - Asiatic-Pacific Theater/Luzon Campaign (1944-45)
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity

Howard E. Woodford was a soldier in the United States Army who received the Medal of Honor in World War II during actions in the campaign to recapture the Philippines from Japanese forces in 1945. He was killed in action while helping a Filipino guerrilla battalion repulse enemy forces.

He is buried in Akron, Ohio.

Medal of Honor citation. Woodford, Howard E.

Rank and organization:Staff Sergeant, U.S. Army, Company I, 130th Infantry, 33d Infantry Division

Place and date: Near Tabio, Luzon, Philippine Islands, June 6, 1945
Entered service at:Barberton, Ohio

Citation: He volunteered to investigate the delay in a scheduled attack by an attached guerrilla battalion. Reaching the line of departure, he found that the lead company, in combat for the first time, was immobilized by intense enemy mortar, machinegun, and rifle fire which had caused casualties to key personnel. Knowing that further failure to advance would endanger the flanks of adjacent units, as well as delay capture of the objective, he immediately took command of the company, evacuated the wounded, reorganized the unit under fire, and prepared to attack. He repeatedly exposed himself to draw revealing fire from the Japanese strongpoints, and then moved forward with a 5-man covering force to determine exact enemy positions. Although intense enemy machinegun fire killed 2 and wounded his other 3 men, S/Sgt. Woodford resolutely continued his patrol before returning to the company. Then, against bitter resistance, he guided the guerrillas up a barren hill and captured the objective, personally accounting for 2 hostile machinegunners and courageously reconnoitering strong defensive positions before directing neutralizing fire. After organizing a perimeter defense for the night, he was given permission by radio to return to his battalion, but, feeling that he was needed to maintain proper control, he chose to remain with the guerrillas. Before dawn the next morning the enemy launched a fierce suicide attack with mortars, grenades, and small-arms fire, and infiltrated through the perimeter. Though wounded by a grenade, S/Sgt. Woodford remained at his post calling for mortar support until bullets knocked out his radio. Then, seizing a rifle he began working his way around the perimeter, encouraging the men until he reached a weak spot where 2 guerrillas had been killed. Filling this gap himself, he fought off the enemy. At daybreak he was found dead in his foxhole, but 37 enemy dead were lying in and around his position. By his daring, skillful, and inspiring leadership, as well as by his gallant determination to search out and kill the enemy, S/Sgt. Woodford led an inexperienced unit in capturing and securing a vital objective, and was responsible for the successful continuance of a vitally important general advance.

Sgt. Howard E. Woodford
(AP-191: dp. 6,550; 1. 455'3", b. 62', dr. 28'6", s. 15.5
k.; cl. Boulder Victory, T. VC2-S-AP-2 )

Sgt. Howard E. Woodford was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull V-286) on 18 April 1945 as Goucher Victory by Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyard, Inc., Baltimore, Md., launched on 2 June 1945; sponsored by Miss Susannah Eby of Goucher College, and delivered to the War Shipping Administration on 30 June 1945.

Converted into a troop transport that summer Goucher Victory, renamed Sgt. Howard E. Woodford served the Army Transportation Corps at the close of World War II, returning American troops to the United States.

On 7 September 1949, the Army Ocean Transport Service declared the troop transport in excess of military requirements, and she was placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, Calif. On 1 October, Sgt. Howard E. Woodford was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service, and was delivered on 22 July 1950 to become a USNS ship. For nearly a year and one-half, Sgt. Howard E. Woodford saw continuous service in Japanese and Korean waters before being placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Olympia and being struck from the Navy list on 4 December 1952.

The troop transport was sold to Tai Kien Industry Co. Ltd., on 27 March 1972 for scrapping.

Sgt. Howard E. Woodford received five battle stars for service in the Korean conflict.


Copyright Togetherweserved.com Inc 2003-2011