Kenner, Harold D., PFC

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
40 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Private First Class
Last Service Branch
Last Primary MOS
Last MOS Group
Infantry (Enlisted)
Primary Unit
1944-1944, HHC, 3rd Battalion, 325th Glider Infantry
Service Years
1943 - 1944

Private First Class

One Overseas Service Bar

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by SFC Ken Logue-Deceased to remember Kenner, Harold D., Pfc.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
West Scranton
Last Address
Not Specified

Casualty Date
Sep 30, 1944
Hostile, Died
Gun, Small Arms Fire
WWII - European Theater of Operations/Rhineland Campaign (1944-45)/Operation Market Garden
Location of Interment
Arlington National Cemetery - Arlington, Virginia
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Plot: Section 60 Site 9737

 Official Badges 

82nd Airbone Division Netherlands Orange Lanyard

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
World War II Fallen
  1944, World War II Fallen [Verified]

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

Combat Infantryman 1st Award
Airborne Glider Badge

 Unit Assignments/ Advancement Schools
325th Glider Infantry Regiment (GIR)
  1944-1944, HHC, 3rd Battalion, 325th Glider Infantry
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1944-1944 WWII - European Theater of Operations/Normandy Campaign (1944)
  1944-1944 WWII - European Theater of Operations/Rhineland Campaign (1944-45)/Operation Market Garden1
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
PFC Harold D. Kenner enlisted on 11 March 1943 at Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania.

He served with the U.S. Army, G Company, 3rd Battalion, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, He made glider landing in Holland as part of "Operation Market Garden".

He was lost on 30 September 1944, in Kiekberg Woods, Breedeweg, Netherlands, approximately 7 miles south of Nijmegen. It was here that his remains were found many years later.

His name had been listed on the Wall of the Missing at the American War Cemetery Margraten, Netherlands, until his remains were finally identified on 29 November 2010,. He was interred in Arlington National Cemetery, Virginia on 29 July 2011.

Note: 3rd Battalion, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division is listed on his grave marker in Arlington.


The largest airborne operation in the war up to that point, Operation Market Garden was the Allies' attempt to seize a succession of bridges over the main rivers of the Nazi-occupied Netherlands, allowing them to outflank the Siegfried Line and advance into Northern Germany. Ultimately, the mission failed, and ended the Allies' hopes of ending the war by the end of 1944.


Market Garden had a huge airborne component, and employed the use of gliders to place troops, supplies and even jeeps on the ground in coordinated drop zones in enemy-controlled territory. Members of the 325th and 401st Glider Infantry regiments, including Pfc. Kenner's G Company, dropped into an area around Grave and the Waal River in Nijmegen on Sept. 23, 1944, according to a report put together by the Army that was given to the Kenner family.


"They landed right in the middle of the German army. In his case, they parachuted in the gliders," Richard Kenner said. "They knew they were going behind enemy lines, and they knew the odds weren't good. The sacrifices these guys made were unreal."


Over the next week, Pfc. Kenner and his fellow soldiers were repeatedly attacked by the Germans. The wet, dense woods made it difficult for the men to navigate, and the weather resulted in rusted, jammed guns.


On the morning of Sept. 30, the woods were lit up with a relentless barrage of artillery fire on both sides. Company commanders were ordered to move onward and continue the attack, despite the fact that their wounded were left in German positions. Heavily armed, the enemy held positions on both flanks.


As the day wore on, G Company's communication lines broke down amid the chaos, leaving soldiers separated from their platoons and scattered throughout the dense woods. When the day finally ended, G Company had sustained heavy casualties, while five men were MIA, including Pfc. Kenner.

Copyright Inc 2003-2011