Peck, Ernest Keith, Cpl

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
View Time Line
Last Rank
Last Service Branch
Engineer Corps
Primary Unit
1941-1945, 44th Engineer Battalion
Service Years
1941 - 1945


Four Overseas Service Bars

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Felix Cervantes, III (Admiral Ese) to remember Peck, Ernest Keith, Cpl.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Contact Info
Home Town
Last Address
Salt Lake City, UT

Date of Passing
May 24, 2001
Location of Interment
Mount Olivet Cemetery - Salt Lake City, Utah
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Not Specified

 Official Badges 

Honorably Discharged WW II Meritorious Unit Commendation 1944-1961

 Unofficial Badges 

 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
Corporal Ernest Peck served in the 1397th Engineer Battalion with my grandfather, Felix Cervantes.

"In 1941 he joined the Army and served with the 1397th Engineer Battalion in the Pacific. After four years serving his country in World War II Ernie returned to Salt Lake City and work at Kennecott Copper. He retired in 1978."
Other Comments:
Not Specified

Ryukyus Campaign (1945)/Battle of Okinawa
Start Year
End Year

The Battle of Okinawa, codenamed Operation Iceberg, was fought on the Ryukyu Islands of Okinawa and was the largest amphibious assault in the Pacific War of World War II. The 82-day-long battle lasted from early April until mid-June 1945. After a long campaign of island hopping, the Allies were approaching Japan, and planned to use Okinawa, a large island only 340 mi (550 km) away from mainland Japan, as a base for air operations on the planned invasion of Japanese mainland (coded Operation Downfall). Four divisions of the U.S. 10th Army (the 7th, 27th, 77th, and 96th) and two Marine Divisions (the 1st and 6th) fought on the island. Their invasion was supported by naval, amphibious, and tactical air forces.

The battle has been referred to as the "typhoon of steel" in English, and tetsu no ame ("rain of steel") or tetsu no bufÅ« ("violent wind of steel") in Japanese. The nicknames refer to the ferocity of the fighting, the intensity of kamikaze attacks from the Japanese defenders, and to the sheer numbers of Allied ships and armored vehicles that assaulted the island. The battle resulted in the highest number of casualties in the Pacific Theater during World War II. Based on Okinawan government sources, mainland Japan lost 77,166 soldiers, who were either killed or committed suicide, and the Allies suffered 14,009 deaths (with an estimated total of more than 65,000 casualties of all kinds). Simultaneously, 42,000–150,000 local civilians were killed or committed suicide, a significant proportion of the local population. The atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki together with the Soviet invasion of Manchuria caused Japan to surrender less than two months after the end of the fighting on Okinawa.
My Participation in This Battle or Operation
From Year
To Year
Last Updated:
Feb 3, 2009
Personal Memories
My Photos From This Battle or Operation
No Available Photos

  54 Also There at This Battle:
  • Bradley, Bernard, S/Sgt, (1941-1945)
  • Carter, Lee Burt, MSG, (1944-1970)
  • Eubank, Helon, PFC
  • Hermansen, Carl, Cpl, (1944-1946)
  • Homa, George, PFC, (1939-1945)
  • Howard, Doris, 1LT, (1942-1945)
  • Jabin, William, Sgt, (1944-1946)
  • Johnson, Norville Thomas, T/5, (1944-1946)
  • Lambert, Francis, PFC, (1941-1945)
  • LaVictor, Alan
  • Thomas, George, Sgt, (1942-1945)
  • Walter, LeeRoy, Sgt, (1943-1945)
  • Yingling, Harry Leroy, T/4, (1944-1946)
Copyright Inc 2003-2011