Warriner, Russell, SSG

Transportation Corps (Enlisted)
 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
133 kb
View Reflection Shadow Box View Time Line View Family Time Line
Current Service Status
USA Veteran
Current/Last Rank
Staff Sergeant
Current/Last Service Branch
Transportation Corps
Current/Last Primary MOS
67W-Aircraft Quality Control Supervisor
Current/Last MOS Group
Transportation Corps (Enlisted)
Primary Unit
1975-1975, 51P, 340th General Hospital
Previously Held MOS
67N10-UH-1 Helicopter Repairer
67Y10-AH-1 Attack Helicopter Repairer
67Y10-AH-1 Attack Helicopter Repairer
51P-Utilities Engineering Supervisor
67Z-Aircraft Maintenance Senior Sergeant
Service Years
1967 - 1975

Staff Sergeant

Two Service Stripes

Six Overseas Service Bars

 Official Badges 

Imjin Scouts 1st Cavalry Division 2nd Infantry Division

 Unofficial Badges 

Cold War Medal Cold War Veteran

 Military Association Memberships
1st Cavalry Division AssociationMilitary Order of the Purple Heart2nd Infantry Division Association Disabled American Veterans (DAV)
Post 7997, Old Orchard Memorial PostAerial Rocket Artillery AssociationVietnam Helicopter Crew Members AssociationPost 1
Post 57
  1969, 1st Cavalry Division Association [Verified]
  1970, Military Order of the Purple Heart [Verified] - Assoc. Page
  1970, 2nd Infantry Division Association [Verified]
  1990, Disabled American Veterans (DAV) [Verified] - Assoc. Page
  1992, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States (VFW), Post 7997, Old Orchard Memorial Post (National President) (Old Orchard Beach, Maine) [Verified] - Chap. Page
  1994, Aerial Rocket Artillery Association [Verified]
  1994, Vietnam Helicopter Crew Members Association [Verified]
  1996, American Veterans (AMVETS), Post 1 (Member) (Biddeford, Maine) [Verified] - Chap. Page
  2011, American Legion, Post 57 (Member) (Old Orchard Beach, Maine) [Verified]1 - Chap. Page

 Additional Information
What are you doing now:
I was the Chaplain for VFW Memorial Post 7997 in Old Orchard Beach 2011-2013

Chair and founder of POW/MIA Recognition Day weekend in Old Orchard Beach Maine.

Today, I suport all my brothers and sisters who served. I Belong to several veterans groups and enjoying retirement life in Florida.  I do guest speaker enguagements, if they are within reach. Perhaps, I will someday finish writing a second book.
Other Comments:
After dropping out of School in 1965, I worked until I had to register for the draft. Vietnam was heating up and I knew that as soon as I signed up for the draft, they would draft me because I had dropped out of school. Therefore, after talking to the recruiter, I volunteered for the one hundred and twenty day delayed entry program. The recruiter told me that I could become a helicopter mechanic, if I passed the test, which he assured me I could. This would keep me out of the infantry and off the front lines, if I went to Vietnam. That was in December 1966 and I was to report to Springfield Massachusetts in March 1967.
I reported to Springfield MA on March 13 and soon thereafter, I was on my way to Fort Jackson South Carolina, where they lined us up before shipping us to basic training. My basic training was at Fort Gordon Georgia. After Basic training, I received promotion orders to PVT E2 and orders to attend helicopter mechanic school at Fort Rucker Alabama. I was excited and thought, ‘WOW’ the recruiter had told me the truth, I was going to become a mechanic. After a short trip home to see family, I was off to Fort Rucker to train to be a Helicopter mechanic.

Basic Aviation Mechanics (67A10) came easy for me and when the Rotory Wing course (Huey 67N20) started, I was named class leader. At the end of the course, I received another promotion to PFC E-3 and was placed on a hold over list. I said goodbye to my fellow classmates and waited on orders to leave.  When my orders came, I went home for a short leave, said goodbye to my family and soon was off to Fort Lewis Washington and waited for orders to ship off to Vietnam.
When I arrived in Vietnam in November 1967, my assignment was with Charley Battery 2nd Battalion 20th Artillery of the 1st Calvary Division. I could not believe it, I am going into an artillery unit and I have an aviation MOS. Arriving at my unit I discovered that this was not a typical artillery unit; it was an Aerial Rocket Artillery unit. I would be working on the helicopters, so this would be okay. I was in for another BIG SURPRISE, an almost as soon as I arrived in the unit, I was assigned to an aircraft and found my young ass sitting in the door of a Bravo Model Huey gunship with an M-60 in my hands.

At first, flying in combat scarred the crap out of me, then the adrenalin kicked in and for the most part, there was no time to worry about being scarred. With my adrenalin pumping and the feeling I got, I could not get enough of the flying. When my unit got the second two Cobras, my first Huey left and so did my flying. A month later, when a Crew Chief left for the states, they assigned me to the Charlie Model Huey that he had crewed. I was back flying again, doing what I enjoyed the most. After an engine failure, they assigned me to another Bravo Model and continued flying until the last of the Huey left and the Cobra replacements arrived. I finished my tour working in maintenance and being a night Crew Chief. I did a short time as a Tech Inspector in maintenance, but that ended when the unit received a SSG E-6 and the slot was filled. As a night crew chief, I flew in the front seat of the Cobra until the commander found out. I guess that was a good thing because I was not trained to be a pilot. Years after my tour was over, I wrote , which you can find on my website
www.emptytubesandbackseatmemories.com/ , www.amazon.com , www.barnesandnoble.com or www.outskirtspress.com .

During my tour, I served in I, II and II Corps, spent time at the DMZ, spent time in the A shau Valley and had several close calls.  I left Vietnam in June of 1969 with no intention of reenlisting in the army. However, when they offered me a LARGE chunk of money, the money looked so good, I took another burst of six years.
During a twenty-nine month tour in Korea, I spent time flying the DMZ, working in maintenance, serving time a Motor pool Sergeant and a short time flying as Crew Chief for a 2nd ID General. This tour had added effects to my already growing PTSD problems.
I excited the US Army in 1975, which I learned later was a direct result of my PTSD. I had no idea that my tour of duty had bothered me so much until many years later.  When I discovered that writing was an outlet for what was bothering me, I wrote in the Saber (1st Cavalry Division Newspaper) about my unit, which I did for 19 years. I also discovered that finding others helped me as well, which lead to starting a group for the ARA, which I tried to keep going for 15plus years. This group is still going; however, I am concentrating my efforts on other issues.

In May 2011, I was nominated for thr Army Aviation Hall Of Fame. I was not put into the Army Aviation Hall Of Fame, but what an honor just to be nominated.. 
I am a life member of VFW Post 7997 (Maine), AMVETS Post #1 (Maine), Military Order of the Purple Heart (Florida), Vietnam Veterans of America # 1044 Maine), Disabled American Veterans Pine Tree State #2 (Maine), Vietnam Helicopter Crew Members Association, and Veterans of the Vietnam War (National). I am also a member of the American Legion Post #57 (Maine).   

In 2011, I organizaed a POW/MIA Recognition Day weekend in Old Orchard Beach Maine. We had our firstevent in September 2012 and after the 2013 event, I passed the torch to others and moved to Florida. Please go to
www.facebook.com/PowmiaRecognitionWeekend and read more about it.
 Countries Deployed To or Visited

 Remembrance Profiles -  154 Soldiers Remembered
 Photo Album   (More...

Vietnam War/Tet Counteroffensive Campaign (1968)
Start Year
End Year

This campaign was from 30 January to 1 April 1968. On 29 January 1968 the Allies began the Tet-lunar new year expecting the usual 36-hour peaceful holiday truce. Because of the threat of a large-scale attack and communist buildup around Khe Sanh, the cease fire order was issued in all areas over which the Allies were responsible with the exception of the I CTZ, south of the Demilitarized Zone.

Determined enemy assaults began in the northern and Central provinces before daylight on 30 January and in Saigon and the Mekong Delta regions that night. Some 84,000 VC and North Vietnamese attacked or fired upon 36 of 44 provincial capitals, 5 of 6 autonomous cities, 64 of 242 district capitals and 50 hamlets. In addition, the enemy raided a number of military installations including almost every airfield. The actual fighting lasted three days; however Saigon and Hue were under more intense and sustained attack.

The attack in Saigon began with a sapper assault against the U.S. Embassy. Other assaults were directed against the Presidential Palace, the compound of the Vietnamese Joint General Staff, and nearby Ton San Nhut air base.

At Hue, eight enemy battalions infiltrated the city and fought the three U.S. Marine Corps, three U.S. Army and eleven South Vietnamese battalions defending it. The fight to expel the enemy lasted a month. American and South Vietnamese units lost over 500 killed, while VC and North Vietnamese battle deaths may have been somewhere between 4,000 and 5,000.

Heavy fighting also occurred in two remote regions: around the Special Forces camp at Dak To in the central highlands and around the U.S. Marines Corps base at Khe Sanh. In both areas, the allies defeated attempts to dislodge them. Finally, with the arrival of more U.S. Army troops under the new XXIV Corps headquarters to reinforce the marines in the northern province, Khe Sanh was abandoned.

Tet proved a major military defeat for the communists. It had failed to spawn either an uprising or appreciable support among the South Vietnamese. On the other hand, the U.S. public became discouraged and support for the war was seriously eroded. U.S. strength in South Vietnam totaled more than 500,000 by early 1968. In addition, there were 61,000 other allied troops and 600,000 South Vietnamese.

The Tet Offensive also dealt a visibly severe setback to the pacification program, as a result of the intense fighting needed to root out VC elements that clung to fortified positions inside the towns. For example, in the densely populated delta there had been approximately 14,000 refugees in January; after Tet some 170,000 were homeless. The requirement to assist these persons seriously inhibited national recovery efforts.
My Participation in This Battle or Operation
From Year
To Year
Last Updated:
Oct 11, 2011
Personal Memories
Units Participated in Operation

1st Cavalry Division (Unit of Action)

I Corps/29th Civil Affairs Company

My Photos From This Battle or Operation
No Available Photos

  14695 Also There at This Battle:
  • Adams, John, LTC, (1966-2001)
  • Adkisson, Jim, (1966-1969)
  • Agard, George R, SP 5, (1968-1971)
  • Agner, Stanley Eugene, SGT, (1969-1971)
  • Aho, Milt, SP 5, (1969-1971)
  • Akins, Donald, CW4, (1963-1985)
  • Akridge, William, COL, (1966-2007)
  • Aldridge, Jon, SP 5, (1968-1971)
  • Alexander, Brian, SP 4, (1970-1973)
  • Alfred, Harry, SGT, (1967-1969)
  • Allen, Lee, SP 4, (1966-1968)
Copyright Togetherweserved.com Inc 2003-2011