Roe, Sr, Eugene, T/5

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
10 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Technician Fifth Grade
Last Service Branch
Last Primary MOS
657-Medical Aidman
Last MOS Group
Medical Department (Enlisted)
Primary Unit
1943-1945, 657, 2nd Battalion, 506th Infantry Regiment /E Company
Service Years
1942 - 1945

Technician Fifth Grade

One Service Stripe

Five Overseas Service Bars

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

13 kb

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by SGT Robert Briggs (squadleader)-Deceased to remember Roe, Sr, Eugene ("Doc Roe"), T/5.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Contact Info
Home Town
Not Specified
Last Address
Bayue Chene

Date of Passing
Dec 30, 1998
Location of Interment
Not Specified
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Not Specified

 Official Badges 

Belgian Fourragere Netherlands Orange Lanyard Honorably Discharged WW II Meritorious Unit Commendation 1944-1961

French Fourragere

 Unofficial Badges 


 Additional Information
Last Known Activity

Easy Company 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division.

Eugene Gilbert "Doc" Roe Sr. (October 17, 1921 – December 30, 1998) was an American soldier who served during World War II and fought with Easy Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne. He also served with allied forces defending Bastogne, Belgium, in the Battle of the Bulge. He received the Purple Heart, Bronze Star, and the Medal of Valor for his services to the war. He was portrayed by British actor Shane Taylor in the 2001 miniseries Band of Brothers.

Eugene was born in Bayou Chene, Louisiana, USA, a son of Ed Roe and Maud Verret, and was one of Easy Company's medics. He was a participant in D-Day, Operation Market Garden, and the Battle of the Bulge. In the Band of Brothers miniseries, episode 6, called Bastogne, is told from his point of view. Even though he was mentioned only briefly in Stephen Ambrose's book Band of Brothers, it was said that he was a very brave and heroic medic. Roe was half-Cajun.

He died in 1998 of cancer in his home state of Louisiana

The medics were the most popular, respected, and appreciated men in the company. Their weapons were first-aid kits; their place on the line was wherever a man called out that he was wounded. Lieutenant Foley had special praise for Pvt. Eugene Roe. "He was there when he was needed, and how he got 'there' you often wondered. He never received recognition for his bravery, his heroic servicing of the wounded. I recommended him for a Silver Star after a devastating firefight when his exploits were typicaly outstanding. Maybe I didn't use the proper words and phrases, perhaps Lieutenant Dike didn't approve, or somewhere along the line it was cast aside. I don't know. I never knew except that if any man who struggled in the snow and the cold, in the many attacks through the open and through the woods, ever deserved such a medal, it was our medic, Gene Roe." 

Other Comments:
Awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and Purple Heart, and Medal of Valor.

He and his ex-wife, Vera, had three children, two daughters, Maxine and Marlene, and a son, Eugene Jr., six grandchildren, Kyle and Derek Tircuit, Christopher and Ryan Langlois and Greg and Michelle Roe, as well as two stepddaughters Mel Timberlake and Margaret Wendt, a stepson Danny Williams, seven stepgrandchildren including Michael and Jill Edwards, William Wendt and Daniel, Jay Williams and Jody Williams and several stepgreat-grandchildren. 

 Photo Album   (More...

Rhineland Campaign (1944-45)/Operation Pegasus
Start Year
End Year

Operation Pegasus (Night of 22/23 October 1944, 2100 – 0200) was a military operation carried out on the Lower Rhine near the village of Renkum, close to Arnhem in the Netherlands. Overnight on 22–23 October 1944, the Allies successfully evacuated a large group of men trapped in German occupied territory who had been in hiding since the Battle of Arnhem.

The fighting north of the Rhine in September had forced the 1st British Airborne division to withdraw, leaving several thousand men behind. Several hundred of these were able to evade capture and go into hiding, usually with the assistance of the Dutch Resistance. Initially the men hoped to be able to wait for the British 2nd Army to resume their advance and thus relieve them, but when it became clear that the Allies would not cross the Rhine that year the men decided to escape back to Allied territory. The first escape operation was a great success and over 100 men were able to return to their own lines, but a second operation was compromised and failed. Despite this the resistance continued to help the evaders and many more men were able to escape in small groups over the winter.

The figures of men involved in the battle are imprecise but it is believed well over 10,400 men fought north of the Lower Rhine. In Operation Berlin, between 2,400-2,500 men safely withdrew to the south bank, leaving some 7,900 men behind. Of these almost 1,500 were killed, 6,000 were in German hands and up to 500 were in hiding in the woods and villages near the river.

Major Digby Tatham-Warter had escaped a German hospital as early as 21 September and having lain low for a week was contacted by the Dutch Resistance who requested his assistance in Ede. In early October he was joined by Brigadier Gerald Lathbury and soon a ‘Brigade HQ in hiding’ was set up.[4] Tatham-Warter made contact with Lieutenant Gilbert Kirschen of the Belgian SAS who arranged supply drops of weapons, uniforms and supplies for the growing number of British hiding in the area.

Piet Kruijff, head of the local Resistance, had been organising the evaders into safe houses in Ede. Soon there were over 80 men in the town and it was becoming so congested that he began housing men in Reemst as well. By the time of the evacuation there were an additional 40 men here.[3] At first it was hoped that the Allied offensive would be quickly resumed thus liberating the men - Tatham-Warter even made plans to carry out operations against the Germans when the 2nd Army began crossing the Rhine. But in October Kirschen informed the Resistance that there were no plans to attack north of the Lower Rhine in the near future. As the presence of so many Allied evaders would place a great strain on the Resistance and expose the civilians hiding them to great risk, it was decided to evacuate the men as soon as possible.

The ‘HQ in hiding’ was in contact with 2nd Army’s escape organisation based in Nijmegen, and when Lt Colonel David Dobie, (commander of 1st Battalion), successfully swam the Rhine on the night of 16 October and reached Allied lines, he was able to make further arrangements. Dobie contacted the XXX Corps and the 101st Airborne Division who approved of the evacuation. He was also able to make contact with Tatham-Warter by telephone and together they drew up a plan that would hopefully allow all of the men in hiding to escape.

Dobie was able to suggest a suitable location on the river near Renkum to make the crossing (codenamed Digby). An RV and route to the river from the north were decided upon, and it was arranged that the men would be met on the north bank by Royal Engineers of XXX Corps escorted by men of the 506 PIR, 101st Airborne Division. To help guide the evaders the crossing point would be marked by tracer fire from a Bofors Gun. The American forces made patrols north of the river and tracer fire was sent over the bank for several nights to disguise the actual purpose of the operation when it came. The date was set for the night of 23–24 October.
My Participation in This Battle or Operation
From Year
To Year
Last Updated:
Jul 31, 2009
Personal Memories
My Photos From This Battle or Operation
No Available Photos

  11 Also There at This Battle:
  • Joint, Edward, PFC, (1942-1945)
Copyright Inc 2003-2011