The 268th Battalion arrived in Vietnam May 1967 and operated there until some point in 1972. After departing Vietnam, the 268th returned to the U.S. and was active as an attack helicopter battalion in the 1980's at Fort Lewis.
9th Infantry Division Aviation Reactivated following service in Vietnam, the 9th Infantry Division aviation units occupied GAAF in 1972. The division itself held a day-long reactivation ceremony at the field on May 26, 1972. Army Chief of Staff, General William Westmoreland (1914-2005) attended the ceremony. The event included fly by's, tactical air strike exhibits, helicopters demonstrating air assault, and soldiers rappelling from helicopters. The aviation assets of the 9th Infantry Division included 250 helicopters in the 214th Attack Helicopter Battalion, 268th Attack Helicopter Battalion, 9th Aviation Battalion, and 3d Squadron 5th Cavalry. Additional units were a Washington Army National Guard aviation company and the Fort Lewis Flying Club. At this time the aircraft inventory included OH-58 Kiowa, UH-1 Iroquois, AH-1 Cobra, and CH-47 Chinook helicopters. A few fixed-wing command transport planes, T-41 Mescalero, T-42 Cochise and U8 Seminole could be seen at the field. Few changes were made to the airfield, except to paint new unit logos in the hangars and the operations building.