Allen, Wayne Clouse, SFC

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
36 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Sergeant First Class
Last Service Branch
Transportation Corps
Last Primary MOS
68B-Aircraft Powerplant Repairer
Last MOS Group
Transportation Corps (Enlisted)
Primary Unit
1970-1973, POW/MIA
Service Years
1968 - 1978

Sergeant First Class

Three Service Stripes

Two Overseas Service Bars

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

48 kb

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by 1SG Alvaro Morales (Recondo) to remember Allen, Wayne Clouse, SFC.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Last Address

Casualty Date
Jan 10, 1970
Non Hostile- Died while Missing
Air Loss, Crash - Land
Vietnam, South (Vietnam)
Vietnam War
Location of Interment
Westlawn Cemetery - Lowell, Massachusetts
Wall/Plot Coordinates
14W, 022

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
Vietnam Veterans MemorialThe National Gold Star Family Registry
  2017, Vietnam Veterans Memorial [Verified] - Assoc. Page
  2018, The National Gold Star Family Registry

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

Aviator Badge (Basic)

 Unit Assignments
71st Aviation Company (AHC)16th Aviation Group23rd Infantry Division (Americal)POW/MIA
  1969-1970, 68B, 71st Aviation Company (AHC)
  1969-1970, 68B, 16th Aviation Group
  1969-1970, 68B, 23rd Infantry Division (Americal)
  1970-1973, POW/MIA
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1969-1970 Vietnam War/Winter-Spring 1970 Campaign
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity

Remains recovered 1989 and identified in 1991.

Staff Sergeant Wayne Clouse Allen was a member of the 71st Aviation Company, 14 Aviation Battalion, 16 Aviation Group, 23 Infantry Division (Americal) at Chu Lai. On January 10, 1970, he was the crew chief of a Bell Iroquois Utility Helicopter (UH-1H) flying from Tien Phouc to Chu Lai, South Vietnam. Radio contact was lost and he was declared Missing in Action. Coordinates are 152927N 1081808E (BT239141) (BT107143) Military Region 1 - Quang Tin

By early 1967, the Bell UH1 Iroquois was already the standard Army assault helicopter, and was used in nearly every "in-country" mission. Better known by its nickname "Huey," the troop carriers were referred to as "Slicks" and the gunships were called "Hogs." It proved itself to be a sturdy, versatile aircraft which was called on to carry out a wide variety of missions including search and rescue, close air support, insertion and extraction, fire support, and resupply to name a few. It usually carried a crew of four.


On 19 January 1970, Capt. Herbert C. Crosby, pilot; WO2 G. Andrews "Andy" Howes, co-pilot; then Sgt. Wayne C. Allen, crew chief; and SP4 Francis G. Graziosi, door gunner; comprised the crew of a UH1C helicopter (serial #66-739) as the lead aircraft in a flight of three. The flight was returning from Tien Phuoc located approximately 25 miles north-northwest of Chu Lai, Quang Tin Province, South Vietnam.

At 1415 hours, the three helicopters departed Tien Phuoc. Roughly 5 minutes into the flight, and in accordance with instrument flight directives, Capt. Crosby directed the flight to change headings to a southeasterly one. Likewise, the helicopters changed radio frequencies as they approached Chu Lai in order to establish contact with their base's ground control for landing instructions. At approximately 1425 hours, all radio contact with Capt. Crosby's aircraft was lost. The other two helicopters reached Chu Lai heliport without incident.

When it was determined that the lead helicopter was overdue, an extensive ground and visual/electronic aerial search was initiated. The Huey's last known position placed it over dense jungle covered mountain foothills on the north side of the mountain range with rice fields within 2 miles to the east. Further, the loss location was approximately 3 miles southwest of Tam Ky Airfield, 8 miles due east of Hoi An (which was less than 1 mile northwest of Tien Phuoc), 18 miles northwest of Chu Lai and 39 miles south-southeast of DaNang. The ground search included investigating villages in and around the helicopter's flight path and questioning anyone who might have knowledge of the aircraft's loss and the fate of its crew. At the time the formal search and rescue (SAR) operation was terminated, Herbert Crosby, Andy Howes, Francis Graziosi and Wayne Allen were listed Missing in Action. 

On January 10, 1970, Capt. Herbert C. Crosby, pilot; WO George A. Howes, co-pilot; SP5 Wayne C. Allen, crew chief; and SP4 Francis G. Graziosi, door gunner; were flying a UH1C helicopter (serial #66-739) as the flight lead in a flight of three helicopters returning from Tien Phuoc to the unit base at Chu Lai, South Vietnam.

(Note: Records differs as to the aircraft type on this incident. Some records show the aircraft type this crew was flying as UH1H, and some show it as a UH1C. Herbert Crosby flew Charlie models every day from at least July 1969 to January 1970. The serial number, #66-739 correlates to a C model, the first two numbers indicating that the aircraft had been made in
1966, and the H model only had come out a few months before this time. Although C models were gunships, and usually flew more or less independently, while this aircraft was flying in tight formation as flight lead, which would correlate with the H model, it has been confirmed that the ship on which this crew was flying was definitely a Charlie model.)

At 1300 hours, the three helicopters departed Tien Phuoc. Five to tenminutes later, due to instrument flight rules, Capt. Crosby directed the flight to change to a different flight heading. When the helicopters changed frequencies to contact Chu Lai ground control approach, radio contact was lost with Capt. Crosby and was not regained. The other two aircraft reached Chu Lai heliport, and at 1400 hours, serach efforts were begun for the missing aircraft, although the crew was not found. 


Copyright Inc 2003-2011