Connell, Henry D., Cpl

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
View Time Line
Last Rank
Last Service Branch
Last Primary MOS
4745-Light Weapons Infantryman
Last MOS Group
Infantry (Enlisted)
Primary Unit
1950-1950, 4745, 3rd Battalion, 8th Cavalry
Service Years
1949 - 1950


One Overseas Service Bar

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by SGT Robert Briggs (squadleader)-Deceased to remember Connell, Henry D., Cpl.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Not Specified
Last Address

Casualty Date
Nov 02, 1950
Hostile, Died
Artillery, Rocket, Mortar
Korea, North
Korean War
Location of Interment
Gates of Heaven - Springfield, Massachusetts
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Not Specified

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
Korean War Fallen
  1950, Korean War Fallen

 Ribbon Bar

Combat Infantryman 1st Award

 Unit Assignments/ Advancement Schools
1st Cavalry Division 3rd Battalion, 8th Cavalry
  1950-1950, 4745, HHC, 1st Cavalry Division
  1950-1950, 4745, 3rd Battalion, 8th Cavalry
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1950-1950 Korean War/UN Defensive (1950)/Battle of Pusan Perimeter
  1950-1950 Korean War/UN Defensive (1950)/Battle of Pusan Perimeter
  1950-1950 Korean War/UN Defensive (1950)/Battle of Osan
  1950-1950 Korean War/UN Offensive (1950)/Eighth Army Offensive
  1950-1950 Korean War/UN Offensive (1950)/Battle of Unsan
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
Cpl. Henry Connell was a member of Company L, 3rd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division.

On 2 September 1950, he was seriously wounded by the enemy in South Korea. He returned to his unit on 15 October 1950.   He was listed as Missing in Action while fighting the enemy near Unsan, North Korea on 2 November 1950.

Cpl. Connell was 17 years of age at the time of his death.

In September 1950, three months into the war that began when the North Korean army invaded South Korea, Connell was injured while evacuating wounded soldiers from a battlefield near Taegu, South Korea. He was sent to a military hospital in Japan and later was erroneously reported to be absent without leave, or AWOL.

In fact Connell had been sent back to the war in November. By that time the fighting had shifted far to the north, following the famous Inchon landing and the recapture of Seoul by U.S. and South Korean troops. With the advancing U.S. troops approaching the Yalu River that forms a border between China and North Korea, the Chinese sent their troops across the border, catching the Americans by surprise and killing large numbers of them.

Connell was three months short of his 18th birthday when his battalion was routed in a nighttime attack by Chinese troops on Nov. 2, 1950 in Unsan county, about 60 miles north of the capital of Pyongyang.

He was reported missing in action. He and an estimated 380 other soldiers from his battalion were never heard from again. The division commander decided to abandon them because heavy losses were taken in an initial rescue attempt under fire by Chinese troops, according to an official Army account of the war.

His remains were recovered on July 16, 1992.

He was laid to rest on May 13, 2006.

CPL Connell was awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster; Combat Infantryman Badge; Korean Service Medal; United Nations Service Medal; National Defense Service Medal; Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation; and Republic of Korea War Service Medal, Presidential Unit Citation, and the Chryssoun Artistian Andrias (Bravery Gold Medal of Greece).


At dusk on November 1, two Chinese divisions launched an attack on two battalions of the 8th Cavalry Regiment and one Republic of Korea regiment. When the battle was over, some 1,000 Americans were killed and 400 captured.

3d Battalion, the hardest hit. Around 0300 the Chinese launched a surprise attack on the battalion command post. Hand-to-hand fighting ensued for about half an hour before the enemy was driven from the area. The disorganized members of the 3d Battalion formed a core of resistance around three tanks on the valley floor and held off the enemy until daylight. By that time only 6 officers and 200 enlisted men were still able to function. More than 170 were wounded, and there was no account of the number dead or missing..

The remaining battalion of the 8th Cavalry, the 3d, was hit early in the morning of November 2 with the same "human wave" assaults of bugle-blowing Chinese. In the confusion, one company-size Chinese element was mistaken for South Koreans and allowed to pass a critical bridge near the battalion command post (CP). Once over the bridge, the enemy commander blew his bugle, and the Chinese, throwing satchel charges and grenades, overran the CP.

On November 6, the 3rd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment ceased to exist as a unit, but died gallantly. In all, over eight hundred men of the 8th Cavalry were lost—almost one-third of the regiment’s strength—in the initial attacks by massive Chinese forces, forces that only recently had been considered as existing only in rumor


See Links
Copyright Inc 2003-2011