Allison, Thomas, SGT

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
11 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Last Service Branch
Last Primary MOS
67U10-CH-47D Helicopter Repairer
Last MOS Group
Aviation (Enlisted)
Primary Unit
2001-2002, 67U10, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR)
Service Years
1998 - 2002
Official/Unofficial US Army Certificates
Operation Enduring Freedom


One Service Stripe

One Overseas Service Bar

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

151 kb

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by MAJ Mark E Cooper to remember Allison, Thomas, SGT.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Last Address
Southern Philippines

Casualty Date
Feb 22, 2002
Non Hostile- Died Other Causes
Air Loss, Crash - Sea
Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) /OEF - Afghanistan
Location of Interment
Tahoma National Cemetery - Kent, Washington
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Plot: (Memorial Only) Section 6, Site 36

 Official Badges 

Army Special Operations Command

 Unofficial Badges 


 Military Association Memberships
GWOT Fallen
  2002, GWOT Fallen [Verified]

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

Aviation Badge (Basic)
Parachutist (Basic)Air Assault Badge

 Enlisted/Officer Basic Training
  1998, 2nd Battalion, 28th Infantry (Fort Jackson, SC), E
 Unit Assignments
160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR)
  1999-2001, 67U10, HHC, 4th Battalion, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment
  2001-2002, 67U10, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR)
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  2002-2002 OEF - Philippines/ Camp Navarro, Zamboanga, Philippines
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
Sergeant Thomas F. Allison

 Operation Enduring Freedom

28 October 1979 - 22 February 2002

Sergeant Thomas F. Allison is a native of Roy, Washington.

He enlisted in the Army in 1998 and was assigned to Echo Company 2nd Battalion, 28th Infantry, 1st Basic Combat Training Brigade.

After graduation from Basic Combat Training, Sergeant Allison Attended The Medium helicopter Repairers Course (67U) advanced Individual Training (AIT) at Fort Jackson, S.C.

Upon completion of AIT, Allison attended Airborne School at Fort Benning, Georgia. Upon completion, he was assigned to the 160th Special Operations Aviation training Company (SOATC), Fort Campbell, Kentucky. Allison completed the Basic Mission Qualification Course (Green Platoon) and was assigned to the Headquarters and Headquarters support Company, 4th battalion, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne), where he served in the Aviation Life Support equipment (ALSE) Section.

In 2001, Allison was assigned to Echo Company, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne). He deployed with his unit to multiple locations across the pacific Command in support of Operations Enduring Freedom.

Allison is survived by his parents, Buddy S. and Patricia Allison. He will be buried in Milton, Wash.


Stricken special ops helicopter unit gets a new commander as lost soldiers are honored

By Franklin Fisher, Taegu bureau chief
Stars and stripes, Pacific edition, March 4, 2002

Each of the eight soldiers lost in the crash of an MH-47E Chinook helicopter posthumously were awarded the Legion of Merit and the Air Medal.
That helicopter went down off the coast of the Philippines on Feb. 22.
The Legion of Merit recognized their assignment to the Night Stalkers regiment, said Army Col. Richard Polczynski, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne) commander.
"The entire crew was recognized for their assignment to the 160th. They earned that through their tour of duty," Polczynski said.
"For their operations that night they were awarded the Air Medal. That was in recognition of their precision and execution of that night’s operation."
In addition, the Philippine government awarded them the Outstanding Service Award, its highest peacetime award, Polczynski said.
On Friday, the Army formally installed a new commander of the elite special ops helicopter unit that lost its first commander in the Philippines crash.
Echo Company of the 160th saw the company’s guidon, the unit’s flag, passed to its new commanding officer in a brief ceremony at K-2 Air Base in Taegu, South Korea.
Army Maj. Mike Welch, a veteran of Army special ops aviation, assumed the command held until Feb. 22 by Maj. Curtis D. Feistner, 34, who died in the crash.
Polczynski welcomed Welch in brief remarks before an audience of about 60. The 160th is headquartered at Fort Campbell, Ky.
"Today, we welcome Maj. Mike Welch as the second commander of Echo, 160th," Polczynski said. "This day, always made significant by the arrival of a new commander, is exponentially more notable because of the emotion and grief experienced by the entire command through the loss of a most cherished crew and aircraft, 4-7-1."
What caused 471 to crash is under investigation.
Feistner and seven other Echo Company soldiers were among 10 service members lost when their MH-47E Chinook went down off the coast of the Negros island in the southern Philippines.
Three bodies have been recovered. The rest are missing and presumed dead. The other two were from the Air Force’s 320th Special Tactics Squadron, 353rd Special Operations Group stationed at Kadena Air Base, Okinawa.
The Chinook was returning from a mission in support of an anti-terrorism training exercise with the Philippine military, part of Operation Enduring Freedom.
"This company," Polczynski told the audience "has endured significant hardship achieving its operations excellence, including the frustration of the unknown, the hardship of separation, the stress of waiting and the pain of loss.
"But like steel, the hotter the fire, the better the blade," Polczynski said. "This company is now stronger than most."
Those aiming to recover the helicopter face a tough task, Polczynski said. "I know it’s difficult," he said. "We doubt that the aircraft’s intact.
"There’s a discussion of how deep it lies. Obviously, the deeper it is, the harder it is to get once it hits a certain depth. Right now, we know it’s beyond free scuba-dive depth."
Polczynski also talked of the final mission of the downed Chinook. The crew had flown about 5½ hours at night, over water, using night-vision devices, part of the signature equipment of the Night Stalkers.
"The mission included aerial refueling," Polczynski said. "The 160th is the only Army organization that aerially refuels." They were about 30 minutes from their base when the helicopter crashed. A second Chinook was flying in tandem with 471 at the time of the crash.
At the controls of 471 were Chief Warrant Officer Jody L. Egnor, 32, of Ohio, the pilot-in-command, and Capt. Bartt D. Owens, 30, of Ohio, as co-pilot, Polczynski said.
Staff Sgt. James P. Dorrity, 37, of Goldsboro, N.C., and Staff Sgt. Bruce A. Rushforth Jr., 35, of Massachusetts, were assigned as forward gunners, in addition to their duties as flight engineers, he said.
Three other crewmen worked as cargo handlers but also held other duties at the rear of the aircraft. They were Staff. Sgt. Kerry W. Frith, 37, of Jamesville, Nev.; Sgt. Jeremy D. Foshee, 25, of Alabama, and Spc. Thomas F. Allison, 22, of Tacoma, Wash.
"It’s a thing of magic," Polczynski said of the teamwork of a Chinook crew. "It’s choreographed through years and years of practice, often without talking because the sheer noise of the airplane prohibits doing it."
Also lost in the crash were the two airmen, Master Sgt. William McDaniel and Staff Sgt. Juan Ridout, Air Force pararescuemen.
Welch’s 17 years of military experience includes service with the Army Rangers, Special Forces — also known as the Green Berets — and the 160th Regiment, including its "Green Platoon," a cycle of rigorous training that all soldiers must complete to be allowed into the regiment.
Welch’s aviation experience includes eight years in special operations aviation.
Copyright Inc 2003-2011