Wilson, Mickey Louis, SP 5

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
81 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Specialist 5
Last Service Branch
Field Artillery
Last Primary MOS
13B10-Cannon Crewmember
Last MOS Group
Field Artillery (Enlisted)
Primary Unit
1970-1971, 2nd Field Force Vietnam (II Field Force)
Service Years
1968 - 1971

Specialist 5

One Service Stripe

Two Overseas Service Bars

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

17 kb

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by LTC Roger Gaines (Army Chief Admin) to remember Wilson, Mickey Louis, SP 5.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Last Address

Casualty Date
May 10, 1971
Non Hostile- Died Other Causes
Vehicle Loss, Crash
Binh Duong (Vietnam)
Vietnam War
Location of Interment
Fairview Cemetery - Dyersburg, Tennessee
Wall/Plot Coordinates
03W 031

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

Artillery Shoulder Cord

 Military Associations and Other Affiliations
Vietnam Veterans Memorial
  2013, Vietnam Veterans Memorial [Verified] - Assoc. Page

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

 Unit Assignments/ Advancement Schools
6th Battalion, 27th Field Artillery Regiment2nd Field Force Vietnam (II Field Force)
  1970-1971, B Battery, 6th Battalion, 27th Field Artillery Regiment
  1970-1971, 2nd Field Force Vietnam (II Field Force)
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1969-1970 Vietnam War/Winter-Spring 1970 Campaign
  1970-1970 Vietnam War/Sanctuary Counteroffensive Campaign (1970)
  1970-1971 Vietnam War/Counteroffensive Phase VII Campaign (1970-71)
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity

Mickey is the son of Mr and Mrs. M.L. Wilson of Odessa. He was born in San Angelo, Texas and his parents were living in Barnhart, Texas at the time. Mrs. Wilson, his mother, indicated the family was originally from Newbern, Tennessee. She stated Mr. Wilson had worked at a Air Force Base during World War II and when the war was over, the base closed and there was no work, so the family came to Texas in 1945 for an oilfield job offer. Mrs. Wilson stated for the first seven years in Texas, the family moved around the Permian Basin. In 1952, the family moved to Odessa. Mickey was the 2nd child, he has an older sister Jean, a younger brother James Darrell, and then two younger sisters, Sandra and Vickie.

Mickey was a good son and was very obedient. Mrs. Wilson indicated Mickey was a Christian and had strong religious beliefs. He attended the 2nd Baptist Church of Odessa, where he was baptized and saved. He was a good student according to his mother, not outstanding, just a good student. He had lots of friends and with a large family, Mrs. Wilson stated there were always kids around. He liked to do things that boys did. Mickey attended schools in Odessa from the first grade through graduation. Mickey attended three elementary schools, Alamo (now Gale Pond-Alamo), Burnet and Reagan. He attended Bonham Junior High and then graduated from Permian High School, Class of 1966.

After high school, Mickey attended Odessa College, but was going to night classes. He had a job in Midland and drove back and forth. It was this arrangement that got him into trouble with the draft board according to Mrs. Wilson. Mrs. Wilson stated Mickey was trying to take the minimum number of classes to keep his student deferment. She states he was taking 13 hours and suddenly he was told he could not take that number of classes being a night student. She stated rather than enroll full time, he continued to work, but kept attending classes. She stated in late 1968, the draft board re-classified him as 1-A. Mickey decided to join the Army and get his obligation behind him.

Mickey took his basic training at Fort Bliss, Texas and his AIT at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. She stated he remained at Fort Sill, Oklahoma for awhile after his training, but he eventually got his orders for Vietnam.

Mrs. Wilson stated Mickey told her once he didn't think he was coming home from Vietnam. She remembers telling him that she did not want to hear that kind of talk. She stated she can still remember it. She stated, "I guess he knew."

Mickey departed for Vietnam in April 1970 and was assigned to B Battery, 6th Battaltion, 27th Artillery Regiment of the II Field Force. Mickey was a fire directional crewman and he did the charting and calculating for fire missions as a part of the battery. He completed his 12 month tour in April 1971, but extended his tour to take advantage of the "early out" program. Mrs. Wilson indicated that Mickey had leave but did not want to take it as he felt it would be too hard to have to return after being home. Three weeks into his extension, Mickey was killed in an accident on May 10, 1971.

Mrs. Wilson stated that they did not get any details other than it was an an accident involving a trailer. In 1972, Mrs. Wilson stated, one of Mickey's hooch mates from Vietnam came to Odessa to see them. This friend told them he was on R&R when Mickey was killed, but according to the talk that was going on when he returned to the battery, was that they were moving in a convoy and that Mickey was riding on a low boy trailer that was hauling an artillery piece. The convoy was moving at a slow pace and at some point, somehow Mickey stepped near the wheel well of the trailer and lost his footing and he fell into the wheel and he was run over and crushed. Mrs Wilson stated that his buddy stated that the witnesses stated that Mickey looked up at the guys, smiled and died. Mrs. Wilson stated she and her husband never believed this and does not to this day. She stated Mickey was too careful and too sure footed to have done this.

A witness to the incident, related in 2007, that Mickey's battery had been at a Fire Support Base Budop. The NVA were reported to be in a big build-up of personnel and supplies in the area. There was the concern that Mickey's battery could get cut off and overrun. At first, the plan was to destroy all equipment in place and come out by helicopters. The First Cavalry Division was able to secure a road out of the area and 5 ton trucks with low boy trailers were sent in to move the guns and equipment. Mickey's track vehicle which was a M577 which was the Fire Direction Control vehicle. This vehicle was loaded on a trailer. The move was made on the evening and night of May 9, 1971. It was raining and really dark. The FDC crew were riding on top of the track vehicle. At some point, Mickey took a soda from the FDC cooler and walked down the low boy trailer and crawled out on the tongue and gave the soda to the driver. As he was moving back, he apparently slipped or stepped on the wrong spot and fell to the side of the tongue and off the trailer underneath. The convoy stopped immediately. A dustoff was called in for Mickey. According to the witness, Mickey never regained consciousness. They got word that Mickey was pronounced dead around 9:00 A.M. the next morning.

Mickey was buried at the Fairview Cemetery in Newbern, Tennessee with full military honors. Mrs. Wilson stated Mickey loved Tennessee. Mickey's father passed away in 1992 and is buried next to Mickey. Mickey is survived by his mother, his brother and his three sisters. Mrs. Wilson continues to live in the house where she raised her children in Odessa. The son, James Darell, a USMC veteran of the Vietnam era and daughter, Vickie Cox live in Odessa. His sister, Jean Crum lives in Dyerburg, Tennessee close to where Mickey is buried and his other sister, Sandra Buchanan lives in Clovis, New Mexico.


Copyright Togetherweserved.com Inc 2003-2011