Ronan, Patrick Joseph, SGT

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
64 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Last Service Branch
Last Primary MOS
67N10-UH-1 Helicopter Repairer
Last MOS Group
Transportation Corps (Enlisted)
Primary Unit
1967-1969, 67N10, 281st Aviation Company (AHC), 10th Aviation Battalion
Service Years
1967 - 1969


Three Overseas Service Bars

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

43 kb

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by SGT Rick Dunn to remember Ronan, Patrick Joseph, SGT.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Last Address

Casualty Date
Feb 18, 1969
Non Hostile- Died Other Causes
Air Loss, Crash - Land
Phu Yen (Vietnam)
Vietnam War
Location of Interment
Holy Cross Cemetery - Yeadon, Pennsylvania
Wall/Plot Coordinates
32W 056/Section 29 Range 5

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
Vietnam Veterans Memorial
  1982, Vietnam Veterans Memorial [Verified]5 - Assoc. Page

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

Aviation Badge (Basic)

 Unit Assignments/ Advancement Schools
1st Aviation Brigade281st Aviation Company (AHC), 10th Aviation Battalion
  1967-1969, 67N10, 1st Aviation Brigade
  1967-1969, 67N10, 281st Aviation Company (AHC), 10th Aviation Battalion
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1967-1968 Vietnam War/Counteroffensive Phase III Campaign (1967-68)
  1968-1968 Vietnam War/Tet Counteroffensive Campaign (1968)
  1968-1968 Vietnam War/Counteroffensive Phase IV Campaign (1968)
  1968-1968 Vietnam War/Counteroffensive Phase V Campaign (1968)
  1968-1969 Vietnam War/Counteroffensive Phase VI Campaign (1968-69)
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
Not Specified

Notes from The Virtual Wall

On 18 February 1969, a UH-1 of the 281st AHC crashed in a hostile area about 25 miles southwest of Tuy Hoa Air Base, SVN. Five persons were reported trapped inside the aircraft wreckage. An HH-43 of the 38th ARRS (USAF) reached the scene and lowered Sergeant Michael E. Fish and a firefighter to the ground. Despite sporadic enemy fire, three of the trapped survivors were quickly freed and hoisted aboard the HH-43. Another survivor and a deceased soldier were picked up by an Army UH-1. With night approaching and one injured man still trapped in the wreckage, the rescue aircraft were forced to leave the area. Sergeant Fish remained with the injured man overnight. Early on 19 February the task force returned, encountering small arms fire. The trapped survivor was freed and both he and Fish were evacuated from the area. SGT Fish was awarded the Air Force Cross.

SGT Patrick Ronan, crew chief on the downed UH-1, was the only person who died in the crash and subsequent rescue effort.

Then-WO1 Steve Matthews, a pilot with the 281st, recollects
"being in the unit supply room when the platoon leader was sorting through Patrick's belongings (his issue flight gear and 'personal' items) to pack them up to send them home. It was a solemn task and one which was done with sincere regret for the loss of a brave man, and a loved family member I'm sure. I was secretly glad I didn't have the task, because there is nothing worse than trying to explain the loss of a loved one to his family, but I know the platoon leader was taking the responsibility very seriously. I also remember the whole unit (even if briefly) mourned the loss of a comrade."
Copyright Inc 2003-2011