Himes, Edward Louis, SGT

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
179 kb
View Reflection Shadow Box View Time Line
Last Rank
Last Service Branch
Transportation Corps
Last Primary MOS
67Q-Single-Engine Single-Rotor Helicopter Repairman
Last MOS Group
Aviation (Enlisted)
Primary Unit
1970-1971, 67Q, 1st Aviation Brigade
Service Years
1966 - 1971


One Service Stripe

Five Overseas Service Bars

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by SGT Bruce Murr to remember Himes, Edward Louis, SGT.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Last Address
Not Specified

Casualty Date
Oct 26, 1971
Non Hostile- Died while Missing
Air Loss, Crash - Land
Khanh Hoa (Vietnam)
Vietnam War
Location of Interment
Pisgah Cemetery - Hampshire, Tennessee
Wall/Plot Coordinates
02W 051

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

Cold War Veteran

 Military Association Memberships
Vietnam Veterans Memorial
  1982, Vietnam Veterans Memorial [Verified] - Assoc. Page

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

 Unit Assignments
Aviation Center and School7th Squadron, 17th Cavalry 1st Aviation Brigade
  1969-1969, 67A, Aviation Center and School
  1970-1971, 67Q, 7th Squadron, 17th Cavalry /HHT
  1970-1971, 67Q, 1st Aviation Brigade
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1970-1970 Vietnam War/Winter-Spring 1970 Campaign
  1970-1970 Vietnam War/Sanctuary Counteroffensive Campaign (1970)
  1970-1971 Vietnam War/Counteroffensive Phase VII Campaign (1970-71)
  1971-1971 Vietnam War/Consolidation I Campaign (1971)
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity

Crash Information on U.S. Army helicopter CH-47B tail number 66-19143

Posted on 12/11/12 - by wkillian@smjuhsd.org

There are two accounts of this incident: First Account - The flight mission for Warrior 66-19143, a CH-47B, required a flight from Camp Holloway to Cha Rang valley and An Son. The crewmembers were aircraft commander CW2 Leonard G. Maquiling, pilot WO1 Albert R. Trudeau, flight engineer SP5 Michael I. Lautzenheiser, crew chief SP4 Mickey E. Eveland, and gunner PFC Thomas F. Green. At 0750 hours Warrior 143 departed Camp Holloway with cargo and two passengers. The aircraft dropped off its cargo and two passengers at Cha Rang Valley and went on to An Son, arriving there at 0900 hours. At An Son Warrior 143 received a mission to proceed to Cam Ranh Bay with a stop at Tuy Hoa. Warrior 143 left An Son with cargo and eight passengers, arriving in Tuy Hoa 1115 hours. The aircraft was refueled and shutdown. The cargo and four passengers got off, and the crew had lunch. At approximately 1340 Warrior 143 picked up one more passenger. At 1350, Warrior 143 took off with its crew and five passengers: SP5 Robert A. Nichols, SSGT Sanford I. Finger, SGT Edward L. Himes, SSGT Rufus P. Falkner Jr., and SFG James C. Skinner. Warrior 143 called Tuy Hoa radio and stated his ETA to Cam Ranh Bay was 1420 with ten persons on board. The call to Tuy Hoa radio by Warrior 143 was monitored by Big Windy 519, a CH-47C, who was flying to Saigon for maintenance. He had called off Tuy Hoa a few minutes ahead of Warrior 143. Big Windy 519 went as far south along the coast as the deteriorating weather would allow, and then returned to Tuy Hoa. As he was completing his 180 degree turn, both pilots observed another CH-47 continuing on south and entering a heavy rain shower. Radio contact with Warrior 143 was attempted with no reply. He then called Tuy Hoa radio and passed along the information. Big Windy arrived back at Tuy Hoa radio and reported Warrior 143 overdue his position report. At 1430, a check by radio was initiated. Pleiku radio stated that Warrior 143 was down at Nha Trang. At 1555 hours, Warrior operations request verification that Warrior 143 was on the ramp. Warrior 143 was not located. A check also revealed that there were no other CH-47's flying in the area except for Big Windy 519. At 1830 Ton Son hut SRCC called 17th AVN GP and stated that a king aircraft would be overhead on the 27th of October to assist in the search for Warrior 143. At 1930 a report from Ghost Rider 3 stated there was something at either grid CP 0597 or CP 0984. At 2150 a U.S. Navy visual recon failed to locate anything in those areas. During the next 14 days the search effort utilized U.S. army, U.S. navy, and Vietnamese navy assets. In the first four days of the search, three bodies, a leg and a partial torso were recovered. Two of the bodies were identified by name and were placed as having been on Warrior 143 when it departed Tuy Hoa. The remaining six bodies are missing. Second Account - Before dawn on the morning of October 26, 1971, Mickey Eveland was awakened by his assistant platoon leader, G.J. Curry and told that he was needed as crew chief for a resupply flight from Camp Holloway at Pleiku to Cha Rang Valley and An Son. SP4 Walia, the crew's usual crew chief had to be present at a promotion board that day, so Mickey Eveland was selected to fill in for him. PFC Green, gunner, WO Albert Trudeau, pilot, CWO Leonard Maquiling, aircraft commander, SP5 Michael Lautzenheiser, the flight engineer, were also awakened. The crew flew from the 52nd Aviation Battalion, 'Flying Dragons'. Mickey had a hard time waking up, and Curry had to return to reawaken him. Maquiling, the oldest of the crew, had just turned 23; Trudeau had just turned 22. Eveland and Green were barely 19. Mike was 20. The CH-47B, serial #66-19143, call sign Warrior 143, departed Camp Holloway at 0750 that morning and arrived at An Son at 0900 hours after a stop at Cha Rang Valley. While at An Son, the aircraft received further orders to fly to Cam Ranh Bay with a stop at Tuy Hoa. The helicopter arrived at Tuy Hoa at 1115 hours and departed there at 1350 hours. Shortly after departure from Tuy Hoa, Trudeau radioed that he had 10 people aboard and expected to arrive at Cam Ranh Bay at 1420 hours. He had taken on 6 passengers for the flight, Finger, Nickol, and three others. The weather was expected to worsen south of Tuy Hoa, and the pilot was cautioned to contact Coastal Center for weather conditions. The last time anyone saw Warrior 143, it was near Nha Trang, headed south into bad weather. Search and Rescue was initiated at 1555 hours. Between October 27 and November 1, debris identified as being from 143 was found washed ashore on Hon Tre island, just offshore from Nha Trang. The condition of the debris recovered indicated that the aircraft had struck the water at high speed. In all, four crew members' remains were found during the search period. However, there was no sign of Eveland, Trudeau, Nickol, Green, Finger or Lautzenheiser. An extensive search continued through November 9, without success. In 1972, the missing crew members were declared Killed in Action, Body Not Recovered. An additional recovery attempt was made based on the possible sighting of the wreckage of the aircraft on October 9, 1974. Two South Vietnamese scuba divers spent 1 hour and 30 minutes each in an underwater search, but did not locate the wreckage. [Taken from vhpa.org]

- See more at: http://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/23291/EDWARD-L-HIMES#sthash.N8IQj9kE.dpuf

Pisgah Cemetery 
Maury County
Tennessee, USA
Copyright Togetherweserved.com Inc 2003-2011