Dix, Stanley Wesley, SP 4

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
192 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Specialist 4
Last Service Branch
Last Primary MOS
11C20-Mortar Squad Leader
Last MOS Group
Infantry (Enlisted)
Primary Unit
1967-1967, 11B10, 3rd Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment
Service Years
1965 - 1967

Specialist 4

One Overseas Service Bar

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by SP 5 Kurt Nagl (Doc) to remember Dix, Stanley Wesley, SP 4.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
New Orleans
Last Address
New Orleans

Casualty Date
Jul 23, 1967
Hostile, Died
Multiple Fragmentation Wounds
Pleiku (Vietnam)
Vietnam War
Location of Interment
Not Specified
Wall/Plot Coordinates
23E 109

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

Combat Infantryman 1st Award

 Enlisted/Officer Basic Training
  1965, 3rd Battalion, 1st Training Brigade (Fort Lewis, WA), B/4
 Unit Assignments
3rd Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division
  1965-1966, 3rd Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment
  1965-1967, 112.6, 1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division
  1967-1967, 11B10, 3rd Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1967-1967 Vietnam War/Counteroffensive Phase II Campaign (1966-67)/Operation Francis Marion 5 Apr to 31 May 67
  1967-1967 Vietnam War/Counteroffensive Phase II Campaign (1966-67)/Operation Hancock I 26 Apr to 22 May 67
  1967-1967 Operation Francis Marion 5 Apr to 31 May 67/Battle of Plei Doc 18 to 20 May 67
  1967-1967 Operation Francis Marion 1 Jun to 12 Oct 67/Battle of Plei Ya Bo Three Trees 23 Jul 67
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
A Note from The Virtual Wall

On 14 Jul 1967 the 3rd Battalion, 8th Infantry, was directed to establish a fire support base near Plei Ya Bo in Kontum Province. They did so, and then established two company positions further to the west; B Company's location was somewhat south of C Company's position. "A" Company was retained at the FSB for security and as the battalion reserve. B and C Companies conducted recon patrols in the areas around their respective positions. Terrain in the Bravo and Charlie Company areas was covered by single-canopy jungle with heavy underbrush limiting visibility to 20 to 50 yards.

The morning of 23 July started out with business as usual - at 0900 B Company sent out three recon patrols, one each to their north, northwest, and southwest, while C Company sent out three patrols to their southwest and south. Everything changed at 1155, when the C/3/8's 3rd Platoon leader advised his company commander that 3rd Platoon, patrolling south of the company base, had been cut off and was surrounded. 1st Platoon, C/3/8, was directed to move to 3rd Plt's aid but was itself pinned in place by intensive small arms and mortar fire. At 1207, all contact with 3rd Plt was lost. 2nd Plt, returning from patrol, was ordered to hold in place about 800 meters southwest of the C Company position.

By 1230, the C Company position was under ground attack and B Company, which had regrouped and begun movement towards the C Company position, was taking heavy fire. Gunship, fixed-wing air support, and artillery fires were called in around the scattered American forces. By 1245 B Company had joined with C Company and together fought off an assault against the C Company command post. B Company initiated an immediate counter-attack to the south and southwest in an attempt to relieve C Company's isolated 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Platoons. At 1445 "A" Company 3/8 was airlifted into the fight and other ground forces were on the move toward the battle area. Supporting arms fires were brought down on several groups of enemy troops caught in the open.

By 1530, B Company troops had closed with C Company's isolated platoons and contact with enemy forces began to taper off. As additional US forces arrived in the area they were placed astride likely avenues of enemy withdrawal, but no further significant contacts were made. A subsequent sweep of the battle area recovered all American dead. 184 enemy bodies were recovered and 8 prisoners taken, together with large quantities of weapons, munitions, and other supplies. It was determined that the attacking force consisted of elements from the 4th, 5th, and 6th Battalions of the 32nd NVA Regiment, totaling perhaps 1200 men. An enemy base camp was found several kilometers southwest of the C/3/8 position, explaining both the numbers of enemy engaged and the ferocity of their attack on Bravo and Charlie 3/8.

The after-action report states that 19 Americans died and 53 others were wounded in the fight. The dead were

C Btry, 6th Bn, 29th Artillery
SP4 Sterling D. Steadman, Lake Stevens, WA

B Co, 3rd Bn, 8th Infantry
SP4 Stanley W. Dix, New Orleans, LA

C Co, 3rd Bn, 8th Infantry
1LT Charles A. Barrett, Glenville, WV
SGT Dean M. Beranek, Rice Lake, WI
SGT James R. Fischer, Oshkosh, WI
SGT Robert A. Nelson, Alton, IL
SGT Richard D. Stinnett, Roseburg, OR
SP4 Roger D. Goldsmith, Black River Falls, WI
SP4 Lemoyndue Jarrett, Alton, IL
SP4 Samuel A. Johnson, Peebles, OH
SP4 Gary O. Mooer, Rosebud, MT
SP4 Eugenio Rodrigues, Santa Fe Springs, CA
PFC Ronald P. Blaese, Combined Locks, WI
PFC Jose A. Irizarry, New York, NY
PFC Charles E. Oliver, Seminole, OK (Bronze Star "V")
PFC James J. Saltmarsh, Ausable Forks, NY
PFC Dante Volpone, Newark, NJ
PFC Bobby G. Wells, Flowery Branch, GA

HHC, 3rd Bn, 8th Infantry
SP4 Stephen Lebitz, Forest Hills, NY (Medic, probably with C/3/8)

Two other men from HQ Company, 3/8, were killed in action on 23 July, apparently in a separate action - SP4 Larry I. Sutton of Danbury, Wisconsin, and PFC Daniel Tramell of Bakersfield, California.

You replied on Aug 3, 2011. Click HERE to view your reply.

Vietnam Wall Panel coords 23E 109
Copyright Togetherweserved.com Inc 2003-2011