Dean, Lawrence Charles, CW2

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
40 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Last Service Branch
Warrant Officer (pre-2004)
Last Primary MOS
100E-Attack Helicopter Pilot
Last MOS Group
Aviation (Officer)
Primary Unit
1972-1972, 3rd Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment
Service Years
1966 - 1972

Warrant Officer (pre-2004)

Chief Warrant Officer 2

Three Overseas Service Bars

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by SSG Trey W. Franklin to remember Dean, Lawrence Charles (Chuck), CW2.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Searcy, AR
Last Address
Searcy, AR

Casualty Date
Aug 15, 1972
Hostile, Died
Air Loss, Crash - Land
Thua Thien (Vietnam)
Vietnam War
Location of Interment
Oaklawn Cemetery - Searcy, Arkansas
Wall/Plot Coordinates
01W 067

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
Vietnam Veterans Memorial
  2013, Vietnam Veterans Memorial [Verified] - Assoc. Page

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

Aviator Badge (Basic)

 Enlisted/Officer Basic Training
  1966, Aviation Warrant Officer Rotary Wing Course (Fort Wolters, TX), A/2
 Unit Assignments
Initial Entry Rotary Wing Training Course (IERW)214th Aviation Battalion13th Aviation BattalionUS Army Medical Command, Japan
Brooke Army Medical Center3rd Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment1st Aviation Brigade
  1966-1967, Initial Entry Rotary Wing Training Course (IERW)
  1967-1967, Rotary Wing Aviator Course, Fort Rucker, AL
  1967-1968, 100B, 214th Aviation Battalion/175th Aviation Company (AHC)
  1967-1968, 13th Aviation Battalion
  1967-1968, 214th Aviation Battalion/175th Aviation Company (AHC)
  1968-1968, US Army Medical Command, Japan
  1969-1969, Brooke Army Medical Center
  1972-1972, 3rd Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment/D Troop
  1972-1972, 1st Aviation Brigade
  1972-1972, 3rd Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1967-1968 Vietnam War/Counteroffensive Phase III Campaign (1967-68)
  1968-1968 Vietnam War/Tet Counteroffensive Campaign (1968)
  1968-1968 Vietnam War/Tet Counteroffensive Campaign (1968)
  1968-1968 Vietnam War/Counteroffensive Phase IV Campaign (1968)
  1968-1968 Vietnam War/Counteroffensive Phase V Campaign (1968)
  1972-1972 Vietnam War/Consolidation II Campaign (1971-72)
  1972-1972 Vietnam War/Cease-Fire Campaign (1972-73)/Operation Easter Offensive
  1972-1972 Vietnam War/Cease-Fire Campaign (1972-73)
 Colleges Attended 
Harding UniversityUniversity of Oklahoma
  1959-1960, Harding University
  1961-1963, University of Oklahoma
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity

THREE RIVERS AREA — For much of the American public, the Vietnam War was, at best, controversial. But a number of heroes were made in that distant land. One of them was Chuck Dean, a helicopter pilot from Searcy who lost his life on Aug. 15, 1972, while trying to rescue another pilot.

Chuck was born in Peoria, Ill., in 1940 and spent most of his early years in Brinkley. His parents, Lawrence and Margeret Dean, moved their family to Searcy in the fall of 1954. Lawrence worked for the Harding Press, while Margeret worked in the mail room at Harding College. Chuck and his brothers, Chris and Dick, attended Harding Academy. Chuck, the oldest, was a freshman in 1954. He played tackle on the Harding Academy Wildcats football team for three years.

Chuck loved flying even more than sports, and he spent a lot of time at the Searcy Airport. He was 16 when he received his pilot’s license. He skipped football as a senior to work to pay for flying lessons. After his freshman year at Harding College, he transferred to Spartan Aeronautical School in Tulsa. There he learned to work on airplanes as a certified mechanic.

He attended the University of Oklahoma after marrying Virginia Dennis of Tulsa in 1961. Their only child, Laurie Elizabeth Dean, was born in 1963. The couple divorced two years later. When Chuck applied for a job with Pan American Airlines, he had to submit his draft status, which turned out to be 1A. He joined the Army to fly helicopters and received training at Fort Wolters in Mineral Wells, Texas. He became a warrant officer after attending a warrant officers school at Fort Rucker, Ala.

He went to Vietnam in the fall of 1967 to fly Huey helicopters. He was there for the Tet Offensive in 1968. He flew utility command-and-control helicopters that were called Slicks for five months and extended his time in Vietnam to fly gunships. In August 1968, he was hit in the thigh by a .51-caliber bullet. He and his co-pilot had completed a mission, and the co-pilot was getting some flying practice flying them back to the base when the bullet hit Chuck. Chuck was placed in a full body cast in a Japanese hospital. He was sent to Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio for more treatment. Doctors had to remove an inch of bone from the wounded thigh. 

According to Chuck’s brothers, Dick and Chris Dean, his first tour of duty in Vietnam wasn’t too hard on their parents. But when he considered returning for a second tour, their father tried to talk him out of going back. “Mother accepted his going back,” his brothers said.  Chuck’s willingness to return to the Vietnam quagmire and his skill and courage as a gunship pilot were much appreciated by fellow pilots. Years after Chuck died - when the Internet made contact easy in the 1990s - the Dean family would learn of the esteem other pilots held for Chuck.

In a 1998 letter, Art Lind say of Hughes told about be ing transferred into Chuck’s unit - D Troop, 17th AirCav, 1st Aviation Brigade - where they worked together from April 1972 until Chuck’s death on Aug. 15. Their days started about 3 a.m. with breakfast, preliminary mission briefing and assignment to an area of operation. That was followed by preflighting their aircraft, briefing their crews and flying at about 5:30 a.m. to the area of operation for the day. They flew almost every day, and their mission usually included locating enemy concentrations. Their heavy helicopter team in cluded two light observations helicopters (LOHs), two Cobra gunships and a Slick. “Chuck always flew the lead gunship, and the LOH crews were much more comfortable when he was (there),” Lindsay wrote. He added that Chuck needed only two or three seconds to put fire on the enemy target after an LOH reported that it was taking enemy fire.

On the day that Chuck was killed, the team had almost completed a mission when it was asked to check to make sure that some communist Viet Cong bunkers had been knocked out. Soon, Lindsay heard Chuck call, “59er’s going down.” Lindsay said they were flying only 20 or 30 feet above ground, and on turning his helicopter, he saw “a large plume of black smoke where Chuck’s aircraft had impacted.” It took awhile to spot Chuck’s co-pilot, Richard Cunnare, on the ground. The gunner on one of the LOHs jumped out and pulled Cunnare into his craft.

Cunnare was badly injured and barely conscious, Lindsay wrote, but he was able to tell the gunner that he didn’t think Chuck had made it out of his helicopter. Several jets came to the area and destroyed the enemygun position. “We went back into the area and recovered Chuck’s remains in the wreckage,” Lindsay said. The next day, Lindsay and others visited Cunnare in the evacuation hospital at Da Nang. They learned that Chuck’s aircraft was probably hit in its transmission by a .51-caliber round that caused the helicopter to crash and explode.

“The aircraft rolled to the right on impact, which allowed the co-pilot (Cunnare) to open his canopy and crawl out of the wreckage,” LIndsay said. “His co-pilot (Cunnare) was convinced that Chuck had deliberately caused the aircraft to roll to the right so that his co-pilot could get out.” In an e-mail to Dick Dean in August 2004, Cunnare, who lives in Enterprise, Ala., expressed his admiration for Chuck.

“Your brother Chuck Dean personally attacked most, if not all, of the units arrayed against the South Vietnamese. He attacked them from above, behind and through them. It was like being in a popcorn popper with the sound of ground fire that loud. “The only way to survive was to counterattack through them at an altitude of 20 feet and a speed of around 165 mph.

He did this in the face of certain death despite our country’s unwillingness to stay engaged. He never let the fact that we weretaking our orders directly from the South Vietnamese sway his dedication. Chuck did this through the absolute chaos (of that part of the war).” Mike Williams, who lives in Lancaster, Calif., was a colonel in the Marines when he wrote to Chris Dean in October 2000 about serving with Chuck in Vietnam. “Chuck was, and still is, my hero. He taught me most of what I know as a gunship pilot.

Not only did he keep me alive and effective in Vietnam; it served as the foundation of my subsequent career. … “He was like a father and a big brother. He kept us on our toes but didn’t get so serious that we lost our sense of humor. He would SHOW us how to do something, not just tell us. His was a very quiet, subtle leadership by example that, only if one were to ‘step back’ and analyze it, could be recognized for what it really was - leadership.

“Chuck played the part of the typical warrant officer. Slightly contemptuous of commissioned officers, not to their faces or todemean or diminish their authority, he just felt things could get done better by warrant officers, the warrant officer way. In doing that, he would persuade and joke. ‘You didn’t really mean it that way,’ or ‘You didn’t really intend to do that, did you?’ “We had quite a mixture of experienced and inexperienced aviators, and quite a mixture of personalities that went along with them. He found common ground amongst them all. We were good because of him. We were effective because of him. And most of us came homebecause of him.” 

Chuck earned a number of medals, including two Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and a Distinguished Flying Cross. His Army friends said he wasn’t impressed by his medals. He just wanted to get the job done and go home. A week before his passing, he had written to his daughter, Laurie, who was 9. He ended his letter with, “I must close for now and go fly. I love youvery much, and you are the world to me. Must go - see you Christmas. Your loving father, Chuck.” 

“Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.” (John 15:13) By rolling his gunship to one side to let his co-pilot escape, Chuck Dean lived up to the highest ideals of his Christian faith - he gave his life for another. 
This article was published June 20, 2010 at 3:02 a.m.

Three Rivers, Pages 121 on 06/20/2010

Name: CW2 Lawrence Charles Dean
Status: Killed In Action from an incident on 08/15/1972 while performing the duty of Pilot.
Age at death: 32.3
Date of Birth: 04/26/1940
Home City: Searcy, AR
Service: AV branch of the reserve component of the U.S. Army.

Prior Unit: 175 AHC 67-68

Major organization: 1st Aviation Brigade
Flight class: 67-11
Service: AV branch of the U.S. Army.
The Wall location: 01W-067
Short Summary: Hit by 51 cal. WO Rich Cunnaire wounded in front seat
Aircraft: AH-1G
Country: South Vietnam
MOS: 100E = Attack Helicopter Pilot
Primary cause: .51 Caliber
Major attributing cause: aircraft connected not at sea
Compliment cause: small arms fire
Vehicle involved: helicopter
Position in vehicle: pilot
Vehicle ownership: government
Started Tour: 01/02/1972
"Official" listing: helicopter air casualty - pilot
The initial status of this person was: missing in action - P I D
Length of service: *
Location: Thua Thien Province I Corps.
Military grid coordinates of event: YD420302
Reason: aircraft lost or crashed
Casualty type: Hostile - killed
single male U.S. citizen
Race: Caucasian
Religion: Church of Christ

Vietnam Wall Panel coords 01W 067

15 Aug D/17 AH-1G shot down at YD420300 killing the AC and wounding the CPG. Again very sterile. Here is what happened via Rich Cunnare:

"What happened to Chuck Dean and I when we were shot down on 15 August when we blundered into the same anti aircraft positions we encountered on the mission prior was a good example of how pilots who faced heavy fire every day developed fatalistic attitudes of invincibility. It was not uncommon for pilots returning from these missions to openly harass the ineffectiveness of NVA gunners. D-17 Cav scout pilots Dexter Florence and Doug Brown flew into the middle of an NVA Division under heavy fire to rescue me because I was badly wounded. Both pilots dropped off their door gunners, Sgt Don Fraighly and SSG Thomas Boyd who moved through heavy enemy fire and dragged me to Dexter Florence's aircraft. "

To The Bravest Pilot I Ever Knew

Chuck it has been 27 years of life that I have had from God's gift to me. I have no idea why I survived that shoot down but I still feel your spirit. A warrior was never born who shought the enemy with the passion you did. I have always felt that I may have been able to do more. I quess that is the price for surviving.
I know you are in heaven and when I join you again we can catch up on old times. Mike Williams says high and he learned so much from you as we all did.

Richard D. Cunnare--- Saber 76---
Posted by: Richard D. Cunnare
Relationship: Co-Pilot
Monday, August 23, 1999

On August 15, 1972, Pilot Lawrence Charles Dean (Chuck) and Co-Pilot Richard Cunnare were leading a team of three AH-1G attack helicopters and two OH-6A light observation helicopters on an air calvary scout mission. 

The team was back over the enemy position and Dean's helicopter was observing for enemy fire to his left, when all of a sudden Chuck Dean, yelled over the intercom, "taking fire, taking fire, three-o-clock!" The lead AH-1G Cobra had been caught in a trap of anti-aircraft fire from a triangle of three guns.

There is no escape from such a trap and the next thing Cunnare knew he was surrounded by burning wreckage with 600 very mad NVA soldiers rushing toward him. 

Cunnare soon felt the force of the rotor wash from a single LOH being flown by Dexter Florence as it landed. Two soldiers jumped out of the LOH and grabbed hold of him. As one of his rescuers started firing a machine gun right over his head bursting his left ear drum, Richard yelled to the men to save Chuck Dean and they told him that Chuck was dead.

For his actions Dexter was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. Sadly, three days before he was to go home, Dexter Florence was killed while flying his aircraft in support of South Vietnamese troops. Richard Cunnare survived.
Copyright Inc 2003-2011