Barefield, James Arthur, WO1

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
41 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Warrant Officer 1
Last Service Branch
Warrant Officer (pre-2004)
Last Primary MOS
100C-Cargo Helicopter Pilot
Last MOS Group
Transportation Corps (Officer)
Primary Unit
1972-1972, 100C, 62nd Aviation Company
Service Years
1961 - 1972

Warrant Officer (pre-2004)

Warrant Officer 1

One Overseas Service Bar

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

36 kb

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by SGT James E. Reece, III (Team Leader, Vietnam Profiles) to remember Barefield, James Arthur (Jimmy), WO1.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Midland City, AL
Last Address
Midland City, AL

Casualty Date
May 24, 1972
Hostile, Died while Missing
Air Loss, Crash - Land
Thua Thien (Vietnam)
Vietnam War
Location of Interment
Echo Cemetery - Dale County, Alabama
Wall/Plot Coordinates
01W 029

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Associations and Other Affiliations
Vietnam Veterans MemorialThe National Gold Star Family Registry
  2012, Vietnam Veterans Memorial [Verified] - Assoc. Page
  2019, The National Gold Star Family Registry

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

Aviator Badge (Basic)

 Enlisted/Officer Basic Training
  1961, Army Basic Training Waived (USMC Prior Service)
 Unit Assignments/ Advancement Schools
Aviation Warrant Officer Rotary Wing Course1st Aviation Brigade11th Aviation Group62nd Aviation Company
  1970-1971, Aviation Warrant Officer Rotary Wing Course
  1971-1972, 100C, 1st Aviation Brigade
  1972-1972, 100C, 11th Aviation Group
  1972-1972, 100C, 62nd Aviation Company
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1965-1965 Vietnam War/Defense Campaign (1965)
  1965-1966 Vietnam War/Counteroffensive Campaign (1965-66)
  1971-1971 Vietnam War/Consolidation I Campaign (1971)
  1971-1972 Vietnam War/Consolidation II Campaign (1971-72)
  1972-1973 Vietnam War/Cease-Fire Campaign (1972-73)
 Other News, Events and Photographs
  Nov 13, 2011, Family Links; Burial Site1
  May 31, 2012, General Photos6
  May 24, 2013, Family Photo1
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity

Status: Killed In Action while performing the duty of Aircraft Commander.
Prior Unit: 178 ASHC 72

Flight class: 71-13f
Short Summary: Hit by 60 mm mortar while on short final to ARVN radar site near Quang Tri w/Harry Thain pilot.
Aircraft: CH-47C tail number 68-15854
Call sign: Royal Coachman
Primary cause: Mortar Attack
Compliment cause: artillery or mortar

Started Tour: 08/31/1971
Additional information about this casualty:

He spent nine years in the USMC with two tours in Vietnam then entered the Army and completed Army flight school. He then returned to Vietnam for a third tour flying Chinooks. His Chinook helicopter was shot down and burned while flying as a co-pilot.
This from the Southern Star newspaper in Alabama.


Information on U.S. Army helicopter CH-47C tail number 68-15854
Total flight hours at this point: 00001522
Incident number: 72052410.KIA
UTM grid coordinates: YD516219
Original source(s) and document(s) from which the incident was created or updated:
Defense Intelligence Agency Helicopter Loss database. Also: OPERA (Operations Report. )

Crew Members:

War Story:
On lift-off was struck in cockpit by an 60mm mortar round. The aircraft impacted ground and crew of five were fatalities. I am writing because after many, many years of searching I found information on your site about a Chinook helicopter loss in Viet Nam in 1972. Its listed under Helicopter CH-47 68-15854. I was stunned to read the file. It brought back many memories.


In May 1972, I was an artillery advisor to South Viet Nam units in I Corps. Originally, I was the senior advisor to an ARVN 175mm gun battalion. The unit was not yet combat ready when the Easter Offensive started with North Viet Nams attack across the DMZ. The unit was ordered north to support the ARVN Third Division. A day later I was ordered to replace the Third Divisions artillery advisor. I went to Quang Tri City. Just before it fell, I was rescued by a young WO1 flying an OH-6. He took me to Hue where I worked trying to get the ARVNs I Corps Artillery Fire Support Center up and running.

Sometime later, as an economy of force measure, a decision was made to emplace a personnel radar to cover the approaches to Hue. The plan was to lift a squad of ARVN engineers with construction materiel to a mountain top where they would build a bunker for the US manned radar. After the bunker was completed but before the roof was completed, the radar would be lifted in place.

The support of a Chinook was obtained. I now know it was from the 62nd ASHC. I marshaled the ARVN engineers and materiel on a grassy field along the Perfume River in Hue. I had a US Army sergeant advisor named Brooks and a Viet Namese sergeant from the engineer unit with me. SFC Brooks had radio contact with the Chinook while the Viet Namese sergeant had contact with the engineer squad.

All was going according to plan as the Chinook made trip after trip delivering the engineers and the materiel. I decided to get the next trip out to the site but saw an old monument at the far end of the field. As a history buff, I wanted to look at it. So, I told SFC Brooks that I would take the following lift. I walked down to the monument and using my high school French was able to decipher that the monument had been erected in the 1880s by a Foreign Legion penal battalion.

As I was reading the monuments words, I saw SFC Brooks waving me back. I ran down the field and he told me that the Viet Namese sergeant had received a radio call from the mountain site telling that they were receiving sporadic mortar fire. Most disturbing was that the engineers reported the fire was over, short, left and right of their position. Being artillerymen, SFC Brooks and I instantly realized the enemys plan. They were getting the range and would fire when the helicopter was on site.

I called the helicopter and told them not to go in. I explained I was an artillery officer and knew what would happen. The pilot told me that they would go in. I again told him not to go. He said something about going in and then going back to his base to refuel. It was the last I heard from him. Moments later, the ARVN engineers reported that the helicopter had been hit, crashed and the crew was dead.

I am sad and frustrated that I have no more memories of that day. I cannot remember how the bodies were recovered or if we later continued the mission at a later time. This incident has haunted me for the rest of my Army career and ever since. If anyone on your site could fill in more details, I will rest easy. I never even knew the names of the crew. Knowing their names now helps. Thank you helping to ease an old soldiers mind.

From: Brian M. O'Neill, LTC (R) FA
Copyright Inc 2003-2011