Reeves, Steve, T/5

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
18 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Technician Fifth Grade
Primary Unit
1945-1946, 26th Replacement Battalion
Service Years
1944 - 1946
Technician Fifth Grade

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

165 kb

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Diane Short (TWS Chief Admin) to remember Reeves, Steve, T/5.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Contact Info
Home Town
Last Address
Escondido, CA

Date of Passing
May 01, 2000
Location of Interment
Not Specified
Wall/Plot Coordinates

 Official Badges 

Honorably Discharged WW II

 Unofficial Badges 

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

 Unit Assignments
Adjutant General Units
  1945-1946, 26th Replacement Battalion
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
Actor. Body builder. He moved to California, with his widowed mother Goldie, at the age of 10, after his father Lester Dell Reeves died from an accident. By the time he was 17 his interest in bodybuilding had led to his developing a Herculean build. After he was graduated from High School he entered the Army during the later part of World War II. After his discharge he started entering body building contests where he quickly eliminated the competition. Starting with Mr. Pacific Coast, followed by Mr. Western America he went on to win Mr. America in 1947. The next year he would become Mr. World in 1948 finally winning Mr. Universe in 1950. He had a great desire to act and despite acting class success would elude him for the next decade. After almost getting the role of Samson in Cecil B. DeMille's Samson and Delilah (1949) the part finally went to Victor Mature. He did that year get a 15-minute television pilot called "Kindar" but the show was never picked up and that was followed by guest appearances on established shows such as the George Burns and Gracie Allen Show. His first film break came in 1954 in the Ed Wood film "Jailbait." In fact this is one of the few opportunities to hear his own voice as most of his later films were dubbed. That same year he also appeared in "Athena" with Debbie Reynolds and Jane Powell. He finally reached stardom in Hercules" in 1958 which after its great success was followed by the sequel "Hercules Unchained the following year one of five films he would make that year. The others were "The White Warrior"; "Goliath and the Barbarians" with veteran actor Bruce Cabot; "The Giant of Marathon" and "The Last Days of Pompeii." This run was followed by "The thief of Baghdad" (1960), "Duel of the Titans" and "Morgan the Pirate" (1961), "The Avenger" and "The Trojan Horse" (1962), "The Slave" and "Sandokan the Great" (1963), "The Pirates of the Seven Seas" (1964), "A Long Ride from Hell (1967). He turned down a number of parts that went on to make the careers of other actors. He was asked to star as 'James Bond' in "Dr. No" in 1962 which he turned down as he did the role that finally went to Clint Eastwood in "A Fistful of Dollars" (1964). His final film in 1968 was "A Long Ride from Hell" fulfilling his wish to make a Western before he retired. He bought a ranch with his savings and lived there with his second wife Aline until her death in 1989. (bio by: D C McJonathan-Swarm) 

Source: Findagrave
Other Comments:

World War II put a temporary halt to Steve's bodybuilding, for as soon as he graduated from high school he joined the Army. On September 12, 1944 Steve reported to the Presidio of Monterey, California for induction into the Army.

After taking his oath of allegiance, he boarded a bus for Camp Roberts, which is located between San Francisco and Los Angeles, approximately 15 miles north of Paso Robles, California.

After basic training Steve went into advanced combat training preparing for war. After completion of his special training he received orders to ship out to the Philippines. He was granted a two-week leave and returned to Oakland to spend time with his family and friends. Unfortunately, a flu bug followed him home and he spent the entire two weeks sick in bed! He returned to Camp Roberts for processing and assignment.

Steve and his company were transported to San Francisco to board a troop ship heading for the Philippines. The ship arrived at the island of Mindanao in the Philippines mid-month in February 1945. Mindanao was a replacement camp for the 25th infantry Division. Steve landed on Luzon by way of Lingayen Beach and continued with his company to San Jacinto, the Division headquarters. The division continued on and advanced to San Manuel.

General Mac Authur paid a visit to San Manuel while Steve was there. Steve belonged to Company A of the 25th Division, which was involved in the taking of Balete Pass. After much fighting Steve contracted malaria, complicated by a serious jungle fever. Steve was transported to a Manilla hospital where he spent months recuperating.

After Japan was taken Steve was assigned to Japan after the allied occupation. He was stationed to the town of Otaruon on Nokkaido Island. On September 18, 1946, Steve finally stood on good old American terra firma. It was now time for him to get on with the rest of his life.

The complete stories of Steve's Army adventures can be found in the members' area of the site. Learn what happen to Steve when he was separated from the rest of the troops one night around Balete Pass. Find out how Steve trained while he was in the service and how he got the nick name the "SHAPE".


 Military Association Memberships
Famous People Who Served
  2015, Famous People Who Served [Verified] - Assoc. Page
Copyright Inc 2003-2011