Adcock, Thomas A., 1st Sgt

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
View Time Line
Last Rank
First Sergeant
Last Service Branch
Last MOS Group
Field Artillery (Enlisted)
Primary Unit
1942-1943, 376th Airborne Field Artillery Battalion
Service Years
1940 - 1943

First Sergeant

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by William Holland (GunnerBill)-Family to remember Adcock, Thomas A., 1st Sgt.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Last Address
Not Specified

Casualty Date
Jul 11, 1943
Hostile, Died
World War II
Location of Interment
American Cemetery - Sicily-Rome, Italy
Wall/Plot Coordinates
B 14 3

 Official Badges 

Honorably Discharged WW II

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
World War II Fallen
  1943, World War II Fallen [Verified]

 Ribbon Bar

Basic Parachutist (1 Combat Jump)

 Unit Assignments
Army Garrison Fort Bliss, TX82nd Airborne Division376th Airborne Field Artillery Battalion
  1940-1940, Army Garrison Fort Bliss, TX
  1942-1943, HHC, 82nd Airborne Division
  1942-1943, 376th Airborne Field Artillery Battalion
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1943-1943 WWII - European-African-Middle Eastern Theater/Sicily Campaign (1943)
  1943-1943 Sicily Campaign (1943)/Operation Husky
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
Sgt. Thomas A. Adcock served with B Battery, 376th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion, 82nd Airborne Division in WWII, during the Sicily Campaign.  His unit was armed with 75mm pack howitzers.

His unit arrived in Casablanca, French Morocco 10 May 1943 aboard the USS George Washington. From there to move to Oujda, French Morocco. There the battalion, the 504th Regimental Combat Team and the 82nd Airborne Division trained in miserable conditions until before moving to Kairouan, Tunisia on 1–2 July, the jumping off point for the invasion of Sicily, what was known as OPERATION HUSKY.

General Patton "ordered that the 1st and 2d Battalions, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR), the 376th PFAB, and Company C from the 307th Airborne Engineer Battalion be dropped near Gela on the night of 11 July.

Finally, on the night of 11 July, the 376th PFAB along with the 504th PIR and Company C 307th Airborne Engineers were ordered to jump on Farello Airstrip, which was held by the Americans.

However, disaster soon struck, in hwat was to be one of the worst 'fratricide' incidents of the War.

When the transport planes arrived over the beaches in the wake of a German air raid, nervous antiaircraft gunners ashore and afloat opened fire with devastating effect. Allied antiaircraft guns shot down 23 and damaged 37 of the 144 American transport planes. The airborne force suffered approximately 10 percent casualties and was badly disorganized. Later investigation would reveal that not everyone had been informed of the drop despite the Seventh Army's best efforts."

From the battalion, 24 men were killed and 11 were listed as MIA.

It is very likely that Sgt. Adcock was killed during this debacle.

see Links


Sgt. Adcok left a wife in Phoenix, Maxine, whom he had married 21 March 1943.  She passed away in 1991.
Copyright Inc 2003-2011