Magee, Alan Eugene, T/Sgt

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
45 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Technical Sergeant
Last Service Branch
Last Primary MOS
AAF MOS 611-Aerial Gunner (Nose, Ball, Tail)
Last MOS Group
Aviation (Enlisted)
Primary Unit
1943-1945, AAF MOS 611, POW/MIA
Service Years
1941 - 1945

Technical Sergeant

One Service Stripe

Six Overseas Service Bars

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

26 kb

Home State
New Jersey
New Jersey
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by MAJ Mark E Cooper to remember Magee, Alan Eugene, T/Sgt.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Contact Info
Home Town
Last Address
Not Specified

Date of Passing
Dec 20, 2003
Location of Interment
Pioneer Memorial Park - San Angelo, Texas
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Not Specified

 Official Badges 

Honorably Discharged WW II

 Unofficial Badges 

 Additional Information
Last Known Activity

Alan Eugene Magee (January 13, 1919 – December 20, 2003) was an American airman during World War II who survived a 22,000-foot (6,700 m) fall from his damaged B-17 Flying Fortress. He was featured in Smithsonian Magazine as one of the 10 most amazing survival stories of World War II.

Alan Magee was born in Plainfield, New Jersey as the youngest of six children. Immediately after the Pearl Harbor attack Magee joined the United States Army Air Corps and was assigned as a ball turret gunner on a B-17 bomber nicknamed "Snap, Crackle, and Pop"

On 3 January 1943 Magee's B-17 was on a daylight bombing run over Saint-Nazaire, France when German fighters shot off a section of the right wing, causing the aircraft to enter a deadly spin. This was Magee's seventh mission.

Magee was wounded in the attack but managed to escape from the ball turret. Unfortunately, his parachute had been damaged and rendered useless by the attack, so having no choice, he leapt from the plane without a parachute, rapidly losing consciousness due to the altitude.

By some accounts, Magee fell over four miles before crashing through the glass roof of the St. Nazaire railroad station. Somehow the glass roof mitigated Magee's impact and rescuers found him still alive on the floor of the station.

Magee was taken as a prisoner of war and given medical treatment by his captors. He had 28 shrapnel wounds in addition to the damage from the fall. He had several broken bones, severe damage to his nose and eye, and lung and kidney damage, and his right arm was nearly severed.

Magee was liberated in May 1945 and received the Air Medal for meritorious conduct and the Purple Heart. After the war Magee earned his pilot's license and enjoyed flying. He worked in the airline industry in a variety of roles. He retired in 1979 and moved to northern New Mexico.

On 3 January 1993 the people of St. Nazaire honored Magee and the crew of his bomber by erecting a 6-foot-tall (1.8 m) memorial to them.

Alan Magee died in San Angelo, Texas on 20 December 2003 from stroke and kidney failure at the age of 84.

Other Comments:

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

AAF Aerial Gunner Wings

 Unit Assignments
USAAF 8th Army Air ForcePOW/MIA
  1942-1945, AAF MOS 611, USAAF 8th Army Air Force
  1943-1945, AAF MOS 611, POW/MIA
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1942-1944 WWII - European-African-Middle Eastern Theater/Air Offensive, Europe Campaign (1942-44)
Copyright Inc 2003-2011