Boyce, George W. G., Jr., 2LT

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
10 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Second Lieutenant
Last Service Branch
Primary Unit
1943-1944, 32nd Infantry Division
Service Years
1942 - 1944


Second Lieutenant

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

85 kb

Home State
New York
New York
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by LTC Roger Gaines to remember Boyce, George W. G., Jr., 2LT.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Last Address
Cornwall, NY

Casualty Date
Jul 23, 1944
Hostile, Died
Gun, Small Arms Fire
New Guinea
World War II
Location of Interment
Manila American Cemetery - Taguig City, Philippines
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Plot: A-4-189

 Official Badges 

Infantry Shoulder Cord

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
World War II Fallen
  1944, World War II Fallen [Verified]

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

Combat Infantryman 1st Award

 Unit Assignments
1st Squadron, 112th Cavalry Regiment32nd Infantry Division
  1943-1944, 1st Squadron, 112th Cavalry Regiment
  1943-1944, 32nd Infantry Division
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1944-1944 New Guinea Campaign (1943-44)/Battle of Driniumor River
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity

His father's WWI Draft Card shows the "W. G." stands for  "William Gerow" or something close to this spelling.
George appears to have been born in approximately 1917.  He is listed as three years old in the 1920 census of Yonkers, New York.  He is listed with his father George W.G.; Mother Katherine;  and sisters Dorothy L. (9), and Adel P (5); along with his grandparents Daniel and Mary Taggert.  His father was involved in the auto industry. 

Boyce joined the Army from the Town of Cornwall, New York, and by July 23, 1944 was serving as a second lieutenant in the 112th Cavalry Regimental Combat Team. On that day, near Afua, New Guinea, he smothered the blast of an enemy-thrown hand grenade with his own body, sacrificing himself to protect those around him. For this action, he was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor nine months later, on April 7, 1945.

Honored in ship naming. The United States Army ship USAT Lt. George W. G. Boyce which operated in the Pacific Ocean at the end of World War II was named in his honor.


For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty near Afua, New Guinea, on 23 July 1944. 2d Lt. Boyce's troop, having been ordered to the relief of another unit surrounded by superior enemy forces, moved out, and upon gaining contact with the enemy, the two leading platoons deployed and built up a firing line. 2d Lt. Boyce was ordered to attack with his platoon and make the main effort on the right of the troop. He launched his attack but after a short advance encountered such intense rifle, machinegun, and mortar fire that the forward movement of his platoon was temporarily halted. A shallow depression offered a route of advance and he worked his squad up this avenue of approach in order to close with the enemy. He was promptly met by a volley of hand grenades, 1 falling between himself and the men immediately following. Realizing at once that the explosion would kill or wound several of his men, he promptly threw himself upon the grenade and smothered the blast with his own body. By thus deliberately sacrificing his life to save those of his men, this officer exemplified the highest traditions of the U.S. Armed Forces.
Copyright Inc 2003-2011