Hay, Dennis, CW2

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
3 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Last Service Branch
Last Primary MOS
152D-OH-58D Pilot
Last MOS Group
Aviation (Officer)
Primary Unit
2005-2005, 4th Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment (3rd ACR)
Service Years
- 2005
Official/Unofficial US Army Certificates
Operation Iraqi Freedom
Operation Enduring Freedom
Order of the Spur


Chief Warrant Officer 2

Four Service Stripes

Two Overseas Service Bars

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

26 kb

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by SGT Phillip Hanners (GA) to remember Hay, Dennis, CW2.

If you knew or served with this Soldier and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Last Address
Not Specified

Casualty Date
Aug 29, 2005
Hostile, Died
Air Loss, Crash - Land
Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF)
Location of Interment
Not Specified
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Not Specified

 Official Badges 

3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment

 Unofficial Badges 

US Army S.E.R.E. insignia Order of The Spur

 Military Association Memberships
Military Order of the Purple HeartCombat Helicopter Pilots AssociationU S Cavalry Association3rd Armored Cavalry Association
Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA)
  2005, Military Order of the Purple Heart [Verified] - Assoc. Page
  2005, Combat Helicopter Pilots Association [Verified]
  2005, U S Cavalry Association
  2005, 3rd Armored Cavalry Association
  2005, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) [Verified] - Assoc. Page

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

Combat Action 1st Award
Aviator Badge (Basic)
Parachutist (Basic)

 Unit Assignments
4th Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment (3rd ACR)
  2005-2005, 4th Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment (3rd ACR)
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
ANC Website Top BANNER 2
Dennis P. Hay
Chief Warrant Officer, United States Army
Georgia State Flag
NEWS RELEASE from the United States Department of Defense
No. 900-05
August 31, 2005
Media Contact: Army Public Affairs - (703) 692-2000 Public/Industry Contact: (703)428-0711

DoD Identifies Army Casualty

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Chief Warrant Officer Dennis P. Hay, 32, of Valdosta, Georgia, died on August 29, 2005, in Tal Afar, Iraq, where his OH-58D Kiowa helicopter came under attack by enemy forces using small arms fire.  Hay was assigned to the 4th Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, Fort Carson, Colorado,

For further information related to this release, contact Army Public Affairs at (703) 692-2000.
Afghanistan Sun
Wednesday 31st August, 2005

Six  U.S. soldiers have been killed in Iraq in recent days, U.S. officials reported Wednesday.

ATask Force Liberty soldier was killed and three were wounded when an improvised explosive device detonated on   their combat patrol southeast of Samarra at about 12:35 p.m. Wednesday.

A  soldier  assigned  to  155th  Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), was killed in action  Tuesday when he was struck by an improvised explosive device near Iskandariyah.

A Task  Force Freedom soldier died Monday when the OH-58D Kiowa helicopter he was riding in made a forced  landing  nearTal Afar due to enemy fire. A soldier was also wounded during the crash. The soldier  killed  was Chief Warrant Officer Dennis P. Hay, 32, of Valdosta, Georgia. Hay was assigned to the 4th Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry     Regiment, Fort Carson, Colorado.

Second Lieutenant Charles  R. Rubado, 23, of Clearwater, Florida, also died Monday in Tal Afar, Iraq, when his M1A2  Abrams tank came under attack by enemy forces using small arms fire. Rubado was assigned to the 1st Squadron, 3rd     Armored Cavalry Regiment, Fort Carson, Colorado.

Sergeant First Class Obediah J. Kolath, 32, of Louisburg, Missouri, died on Sunday, in Landstuhl, Germany, of injuries  sustained on August 25, 2005, in Husaybah,  Iraq, when an improvised explosive device detonated near his position. The incident involved three other soldiers whose deaths were announced on August 27, 2005. Kolath was assigned to the U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

On Saturday, a Task Force Freedom soldier died when he was struck by enemy fire while on dismounted patrol near Tal Afar. He was Specialist Joseph L. Martinez, 21, of Las Vegas, Nevada, Martinez was assigned to the 2nd Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, Fort Carson, Colorado.

A pilot from Valdosta, Georgia, was killed when the helicopter he was in came under hostile fire in northern Iraq, the 
    military said Wednesday night.

Chief Warrant Officer Dennis P. Hay, 32, died Monday when the helicopter he was riding in was attacked by small-arms fire from insurgents while flying over Tal Afar. The chopper was forced to land after the attack. But the pilot who was flying the craft at the time was able to get the helicopter airborne and left the area, a rebel-ridden city 260 miles northwest of Baghdad. The pilot, whose name was not released, was also wounded in the attack.

Hay, who grew up in Georgia, was living in Colorado Springs, Colorado, where he was assigned to the 4th Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment in Fort Carson.

His parents, who moved from Georgia to Florida, could not be reached for comment. He was married and had a son and a daughter, said Army spokesman James Hill.

NOTE: CWO Hay is scheduled to be laid to rest with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery on 24 October 2005.

3 Servicemen, 3 Stories of Dedication
Burials at Arlington Honor Those Who Fought in Iraq
By Lila de Tantillo
Courtesy of the Washington Post
Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Three men who chose to risk their lives for their country by serving in Iraq were laid to rest yesterday at Arlington National Cemetery. One had switched military branches to pursue his dream of flying helicopters; another could have retired but chose to remain in the service; and a third decided to reenlist on the condition that he be sent to Iraq.

Chief Warrant Officer Dennis Patrick Hay of Valdosta, Georgia, was killed August 29, 2005, when the helicopter he was piloting was attacked by enemy fire in Tal Afar, Iraq, near the Syrian border. Hay, 32, was assigned to the 4th Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, of Fort Carson, Colorado.

Rebecca Hay PHOTO
Rebecca Hay holds her daughter, Abigail, next to relatives during a service for her husband, Chief Warrant Officer Dennis Hay
of Valdosta, Georig1a. "Dennis went back for a second tour because of the Iraqi children," a friend said.

A horse-drawn caisson led a procession through rain and blustery wind yesterday from the U.S. Coast Guard Memorial to Hay's final resting place. A military band played "America the Beautiful" as an honor guard folded the flag covering the urn that held Hay's ashes. Major General Charles Wilson presented the flag to Hay's wife, Rebecca. Hay also was mourned by his children, Jacob and Abigail, parents Barry and Patty, brother Barry and sister Bridgette.

"The most important thing to Dennis was that he wanted people to know that he had a relationship with God, and he wanted to make sure that other people did, too," said Misty Ricks, 30, a friend from Brunswick, Georgia, who had known Hay for more than a decade from Agape Christian Fellowship in St. Marys, Georgia.

Ricks knew Hay as an adventurous guy in her youth group who rode a BMX bike and liked to use it to do stunts -- but only if he could execute the thrill-seeking maneuvers safely.

Hay had served as a parajumper in the Air Force before applying for a transfer several years ago to the Army so he could train to become a helicopter pilot. He hoped to use the skill one day as a missionary to bring aid to those in need.

"Dennis went back for a second tour because of the Iraqi children," Ricks said, adding that he had told her that if others could see the difference the United States was making in the young Iraqis' future, "they would understand why he was going back."

Lieutenant Colonel Leon Gifford James II of Sackets Harbor, New York, was wounded September 26, 2005, in Baghdad when an explosive device detonated near his Humvee. He died October 10, 2005, at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. James, 46, was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 314th Field Artillery Regiment, 2nd Brigade, 78th Division, based at Fort Drum, New York.

Friends said that James, who served as an elder at United Presbyterian Church in Sackets Harbor and helped manage its finances, had been eligible to retire from the service. But he decided to stay to fight for a cause he believed in. He kept in excellent shape -- even outrunning men two decades his junior in training drills, his friends said.

For James's full-honors funeral, a team of dark horses led the procession from the Old Post Chapel. A military band played "Amazing Grace" as the flag-draped coffin -- covered with a clear plastic sheath to protect it from the rain -- was brought to the grave site. Major General Wayne Erck presented the flag to James's wife, Silvia, who was accompanied by their children, Maria, Rachael and Kathryn.

Marine Sergeant Mark P. Adams of Morrisville, North Carolina, was killed October 15, 2005, by an improvised explosive device while conducting combat operations in Saqlawiyah, Iraq. Adams, 24, was a reservist attached to the 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward).

A Marine honor guard from the barracks at Eighth and I streets NW in Washington carried Adams's gray coffin to a grave site near a memorial to those who died serving in Somalia. Navy chaplain Robert Rearick delivered a sermon before the guard presented a folded U.S. flag to Gunnery Sergeant Barry L. Baker, who knelt before Adams's father, Phillip Adams, to hand him the tribute.

Mark Adams was the youngest of three sons, all of whom served in the military. As a freshman, he joined the wrestling team at Cary High School in North Carolina, and by all accounts his performance at first was terrible. But over several years, he worked to strengthen his body and refine his technique. By his senior year, he was chosen as captain, and the team won a state championship.

Adams joined the Marines shortly after graduation but saw little action during several years stationed in the Pacific. He returned to his home town near Raleigh, where he volunteered as a coach for the wrestling team, but soon decided to return to the service.

Jean Tursam, 57, a longtime family friend, said the elder Adams told the 600 people who attended a memorial service at Colonial Baptist Church in Cary about his son's motivation.

" 'We're going to choose to fight them in Iraq or we're going to choose to fight them here,' " Mark Adams had said.

Tursam said that even after the young Marine was promoted to platoon leader, he still chose to take the dangerous position in the turret of the Humvee, where he was killed by a piece of shrapnel. "He wouldn't ask his men to do something he wouldn't do himself," she said.

Hay, James and Adams were the 181st, 182nd and 183rd service members killed in the Iraq conflict to be buried at the cemetery.

DP Hay Gravesite PHOTO February 2006     DP Hay Valentine's Day 2006 PHOTO
Photos & Valentine's Day Remembrance By Holly February 2006
Posted: 20 October 2005  Updated: 26 October 2005 Updated: 2 January 2006 Updated: 11 February 2006


2 September 2005:


Six U.S. soldiers downed in hostile action in Iraq
Purple Heart Medal

Bronze Star Medal

DP Hay Gravesite PHOTO - January 2006 

TROOP P, 4TH SQUADRON, 3D ARMORED CAVALRY, (TF BAGH              Profile By SGT P.M Hanners

Dennis Patrick Hay

  |   Visit Guest Book

Dennis Patrick Hay, a 32 year old soldier in the U.S. Army, passed away on August 29, 2005 during hostile fire while serving his country in Iraq. Dennis was an OH-58 Delta pilot stationed at Fort Carson, CO. Dennis was born November 9, 1972 in Charleston, SC to Barry and Patty Hay. On July 1, 1995, Dennis married Rebecca Wilson in St. Mary, GA and they started a family together. Dennis is survived by his wife, Rebecca; his son and daughter; his parents, Barry and Patty hay; his brother, Barry; his sister, Bridgette; his aunt, Nancy Humphrey; his uncle, Chuck Hay; and his cousin, Rhonda Nelsen. He is preceded in death by his paternal grandparents; maternal grandmother; and uncle, Pat. Dennis served his country in the U.S. Air Force for eight years and in the U.S. Army for four years. Dennis served as TACP Ranger, Pararescueman (PJ), and an OH 58 Delta pilot. Dennis enjoyed cycling, flying, jumping, hiking, and spending time with his family. Above all, he loved God. Funeral Service are being held Sunday, September 4, 2005 at 5:00 p.m. at Dove-Witt Fountain Valley Chapel, 6630 S. Hwy 85/87, Fountain. A Memorial Service will be held Wednesday, September 21, 2005 at Soldiers' Memorial Chapel at 1:30 p.m. Memorial contributions may be made to the PTroop 4/3 ACR.
Published in The Gazette on September 4, 2005
Bookmark and Share


Army Chief Warrant Officer 2 Dennis P. Hay

Died August 29, 2005 serving during Operation Iraqi Freedom

32, of Valdosta, Ga.; assigned to the 4th Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, Fort Carson, Colo.; killed Aug. 29 when his OH-58D Kiowa helicopter came under attack by enemy forces using small-arms fire in Tal Afar, Iraq.

Fort Carson pilot’s last selfless act saves co-pilot

By Tom Roeder

Associated Press / The Gazette (Colorado Springs, Colo.)

FORT CARSON, Colo. — Chief Warrant Officer Dennis Hay always cranked down the knob that increased tension on the helicopter controls.

It made the OH-58 heavier to fly, an upper-body workout for pilots pulling against the spring tension. His co-pilot, Chief Warrant Officer Gabriel Torney, complained about the arm-straining adjustment. But Hay, nicknamed “Shooter,” always said that extra tension would buy precious seconds in an emergency.

That’s exactly what happened, Torney said Wednesday. His voice quaked at times as he spoke at a memorial service for Hay and three other soldiers from the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment.

“He did this every time he flew and that selfless act is why I’m here today,” Torney said inside Soldiers’ Memorial Chapel at Fort Carson.

It was just after sunset on Aug. 29 when machine-gun fire stitched its way through the low-flying observation chopper over Tal Afar, Iraq.

Hay, who was at the controls, was fatally wounded.

The helicopter pitched up, but didn’t go out of control — that extra spring tension held it in check. Torney, injured by a bullet that tore through his right leg and lodged in his left thigh, had just enough time to grab the controls.

Bleeding badly, Torney wrestled the helicopter to the ground outside town and was rescued by comrades. Hay, a married father of two who left the Air Force to fly Army helicopters, died at a hospital.

Torney said he says a prayer every night now for Hay.

But prayer isn’t enough.

“You continue to teach the things that he taught me,” Torney said after the service. “That’s how you keep his memory alive.”

Copyright Togetherweserved.com Inc 2003-2011