Logan, John Alexander, Jr., MAJ

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
27 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Last Service Branch
Primary Unit
1898-1899, 33rd Infantry Division
Service Years
1887 - 1899



 Last Photo   Personal Details 

9 kb

Home State
Year of Birth
This Fallen Army Profile is not currently maintained by any Member. If you would like to take responsibility for researching and maintaining this Fallen profile please click HERE
Casualty Info
Home Town
Murphysboro, Illinois
Last Address
Youngstown, Ohio

Casualty Date
Nov 11, 1899
Hostile, Died of Wounds
Gun, Small Arms Fire
Moro Rebellion (Philippines)
Location of Interment
Not Specified
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Not Specified

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

 Unit Assignments
33rd Infantry Division
  1898-1899, 33rd Infantry Division
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1899-1913 Moro Rebellion (Philippines)
 Colleges Attended 
United States Military Academy
  1884-1887, United States Military Academy
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity

Medal of Honor

Awarded for actions during the Philippine Insurrection.

For most distinguished gallantry in leading his battalion upon the entrenchments of the enemy, on which occasion he fell mortally wounded on 11 November 1899, while serving with 33d Infantry, U.S. Volunteers, in action at San Jacinto, Philippine Islands.  

Service: Army

Rank: Major

Date of Issue: May 3, 1902


From the book Reminiscences of a Soldier's Wife by Mrs. John A. Logan
       [All paragraphing, grammar, and punctuation are as per the book.]

Page 203:  Another source of rejoicing in our home added much to our happiness: our son, John A. Logan, Jr., was born July 24, 1865, and was from the very hour of his birth so bright and handsome as to attract the attention of every one, and to us evermore a blessing  beyond compare.

Page 322 - 323:  We had in our employ at that time a faithful colored man servant, Louis Davis, who has occupied the position of trusted messenger in the Interior Department almost ever since.  He insisted upon taking our little son, John A. Logan, Jr., who was then eight years old, to the inauguration, promising to be very careful of him.  He took the child up to the Capitol and stood beside the general [the boy's father] who occupied the place of committeeman near Grant.  After he had finished the inaugural address, President Grant noticed the boy, and, Jack being a great favorite with him, he said to General Logan: "Bring Jack in the carriage as we return."  Louis, overhearing President Grant, preceded them to the carriage.  Imagine General Logan's surprise when he saw Louis sitting on the box beside Helmbold and with Jack on his knee!  The President laughed heartily and insisted upon his being left there.  When they arrived at the Whtie House, President Grant took Jack by the hand and led him into the reception-room to be welcomed by Mrs. Grant.  When they adjourned to the state dining room for the luncheon which Mrs. Grant had provided for the large party accompanying the President, he insisted upon taking Jack with him.

It was a red-letter day in the dear boy's life, and he used to tell it to all of his school friends with a good deal of satisfaction.  It spoke volumes for the kind heart of General Grant.  Jack was always proud of being a favorite with the President and Mrs. Grant, who never forgot him at Christmas, but always sent him some beautiful Christmas gift.  He was her champion and made many speeches in eulogy of Mr. Grant, which were reported to her and caused her to be very strongly attached to him as long as she lived.

Page 364:  At the age of 12 he attended the Morgan Park Military Academy.

Page 431 - 432:  At the time of General Logan's death our son, John A. Logan, Jr., was engaged to be married to Miss Edith Andrews, daugher of Mr. and Mrs. Chauncy H. Andrews, of Younstown, Ohio.  Mr. Andrews was one of the noblest of men - an intensely patriotic citizen of the country he loved devotedly.  He and General Logan had talked over the marriage of the young people, but General Logan's death changed all our plans.  Much as I knew I should miss my son in such an hour, I would not allow his engagement to be disconcerted on my account, as I knew he would have to leave me sometime to live his own life.  He was married on March 22, 1887.  The pair went to Havana for the wedding-trip, and on their return went to Youngstown to live, as Mr. Andrews desired.  Mr. Andrews had no son and at once adopted John A. Logan, Jr., as his own.  Mr. Andrews survived General Logan but a few years, and my son continued to reside in the Andrews' home until a year or two prior to going into the servce, in 1898, when he established his home on a farm near Youngstown.

Page 446 - 448:  In 1898 war was declared in Cuba.  My son determined to enter the service.  He was apponted an adjutant-general on Major-General John C. Bate's staff and he served in that capacity until hostilities ceased in Cuba, having taken part in the battles of San Juan Hill, Santiago, and other engagements.  He was attacked with malarial fever and I met him at Montauk Point.  While waiting for his arrival I tried to do all I could for the returning troops, many of whom were in a wretched condition from malarial diseases.  In May, 1898, Dewey having sunk the Spanish fleet and captured Manila, it became necessary for the Government to occupy the Philippine Islands.  At first it seemed there was to be no resistance, but Aguinaldo renewed hostilities, and my son again entered the service as major of the 3d Battalion, 33d Infantry, commanded by Colonel Hare.  He liked the service in the line better than that of the staff, In August he joined his regiment at San Antonio, Texas, where they were ordered to San Franciso to sail for Manila in October.  On their arrival in Manila he found General Lloyd Wheaton, an aid on his father's staff at the close of the Civil War, watching for his arrival, as General Wheaton wanted my son's regiment to join his command.  He desired to have Major Logan with him, as he was greatly attached to Jack as the son of his old commander.  Major Logan helped get General Otis to make the assignment and they embarked for northern Luzon in a few days with General Wheaton's command.  Major Logan was impatient for active service and was very ambitious to capture Aguinaldo.  General Wheaton allowed him to make the first reconnoissance the night after they landed.  The next morning, November 11, 1899, he begged General Wheaton to allow his battalion to have the advance  He was on the point, gallantly leading his battlaion of the 33d Infantry against Aguinaldo's intrenched troops at San Jacinto , northern Luzon, when a Filipino hidden by the dense foliage of a cocoanut-tree, shot one of his sergeants.  Major Logan stooped over to administer the first aid to the brave sergeant, when the same man in the tree fired the fatal shot which instantly killed our only son.

This shock again prostrated me for a long time.  After his father's death all my ambitions centred in my idolized son, and could he have lived I am quite sure he would have fulfilled all my expectations.  He was the counterpart of his father in appearance, temperament, and aspirations.  He was but thirty-six years old, but had a well-thought-out plan to add to the name he bore.  He left a lovely wife and three children - two daughters and a son - all of whom are now grown to manhood and womanhood.  The eldest, a daughter, is married and lives abroad, greatly to my distress.  John A. Logan III bids fair to be a worthy scion of his illustrious grandfather and father.  He is a graduate of Yale, and was married September 2, 1913, to Miss Margaret Powell of Saint Joseph, Missouri.  He has established his home at Youngstown, Ohio  He is patriotic in the highest degree, a member of the Ohio national guard, ready and anxious for orders should his State or country need his services.  The youngest child, Edith Josephine Logan, has a decided talent for sculpture, and has already modelled some fine works.  Unforunately, we must lie each his own life and can not have always have about us the few dear ones whom death has not claimed.

President McKinley, in trying to comfort me at the time of my son's death, said: "Dear Mrs. Logan, do not forget that in the brief moment he immortalized himself more than he could have done had he lived fifty years.  HIs father, could he have chosen his end, would rather have had him die gallantly leading his command in battle than in any other way."  John Hay, America's peerless diplomat, wrote me: "Dear Mrs. Logan: It should be some consolation to you that few woman have had such a husband and such a son to lose."

That my son immortalized himself and added lustre to the name of Logan could but gratify the heart of a doting mother, but could not fail to deepen the incurable wound of his untimely death.  Bereft of father, husband, and son, I had to face the world alone with no one to whom I could appeal for advice and assistance in times of trouble.  But good friends came to me in my desolation, and to them I owe everything that I am and have achieved.



Source:  http://www.militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=1836

Logan, Mrs. John A.; Reminiscences of a Soldier's Wife: an autobiography; Charles Scribner's Sons, New York; 1916; Pages 203, 322, 323, 364, 431, 432, 446, 447, 448
Copyright Togetherweserved.com Inc 2003-2011