Kouma, Ernest Richard, MSG

 Photo In Uniform   Service Details
33 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Master Sergeant
Last Service Branch
Last MOS Group
Armor (Enlisted)
Primary Unit
1954-1960, US Army Recruiting Command (USAREC)
Service Years
1940 - 1971

Master Sergeant

Ten Service Stripes

Five Overseas Service Bars

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

85 kb

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by the Site Administrator to remember Kouma, Ernest Richard, MSG USA(Ret).
Contact Info
Home Town
Dwight, NE
Last Address
McDaniels, KY

Date of Passing
Dec 19, 1993
Location of Interment
Fort Knox Post Cemetery - Fort Knox, Kentucky
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Not Specified

 Official Badges 

US Army Retired Army Recruiter (Gold) - 3 stars US Army Retired (Pre-2007) Meritorious Unit Commendation 1944-1961

French Fourragere

 Unofficial Badges 

Armor Shoulder Cord

 Military Association Memberships
Legion Of Valor
  1953, Legion Of Valor [Verified] - Assoc. Page

 Additional Information
Last Known Activity


medal of honor image

Medal of Honor citation


M/Sgt. Kouma, a tank commander in Company A, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. His unit was engaged in supporting infantry elements on the Naktong River front. Near midnight on August 31, a hostile force estimated at 500 crossed the river and launched a fierce attack against the infantry positions, inflicting heavy casualties. A withdrawal was ordered and his armored unit was given the mission of covering the movement until a secondary position could be established. The enemy assault overran 2 tanks, destroyed 1 and forced another to withdraw. Suddenly M/Sgt. Kouma discovered that his tank was the only obstacle in the path of the hostile onslaught. Holding his ground, he gave fire orders to his crew and remained in position throughout the night, fighting off repeated enemy attacks. During 1 fierce assault, the enemy surrounded his tank and he leaped from the armored turret, exposing himself to a hail of hostile fire, manned the .50 caliber machine gun mounted on the rear deck, and delivered pointblank fire into the fanatical foe. His machine gun emptied, he fired his pistol and threw grenades to keep the enemy from his tank. After more than 9 hours of constant combat and close-in fighting, he withdrew his vehicle to friendly lines. During the withdrawal through 8 miles of hostile territory, M/Sgt. Kouma continued to inflict casualties upon the enemy and exhausted his ammunition in destroying 3 hostile machine gun positions. During this action, M/Sgt. Kouma killed an estimated 250 enemy soldiers. His magnificent stand allowed the infantry sufficient time to reestablish defensive positions. Rejoining his company, although suffering intensely from his wounds, he attempted to resupply his tank and return to the battle area. While being evacuated for medical treatment, his courage was again displayed when he requested to return to the front. M/Sgt. Kouma's superb leadership, heroism, and intense devotion to duty reflect the highest credit on himself and uphold the esteemed traditions of the U.S. Army.  GO 38 Jun 4 51

Other Comments:

kouma_a.jpg (58006 bytes)
MOH Recipients John Pittman, Ernest Kouma & Carl Dodd (1951)


Ernest Richard Kouma was born on November 23, 1919, in Dwight, Nebraska, to a farming family. He spent much of his early life on the family farm before enlisting in the United States Army in June 1940.

World War II 


When the United States entered World War II, Kouma was trained as a tank crew member. He was assigned to the 9th Armored Division. The Division landed in Normandy late in September 1944, and moved to the front lines on October 23. Its first mission was patrol duty in a quiet sector along the Luxembourg-German frontier. When the Germans launched their winter offensive, the 9th Armored Division was quickly involved in the Battle of the Bulge with next to no experience. The Division saw very heavy action at St. Vith, Echternach and Bastogne, its units, unprepared to counter the offensive, fighting in widely separated areas.

The 9th Armored Division made a stand at Bastogne and held off the Germans long enough to enable the 101st Airborne Division to dig in for a defense of the city, resulting in the Battle of Bastogne. After a rest period in January 1945, the 9th Armored Division made preparations for a drive across the Roer River. The offensive was launched on February 28, and the 9th smashed across the Roer to Rheinbach, sending patrols into Remagen. The Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen was found intact, and was seized by elements of the 9th Armored Division minutes before demolition charges were set to explode on March 7, 1945. The division exploited the bridgehead, moving south and east across the Lahn River toward Limburg, where thousands of Allied prisoners were liberated. The Division drove on to Frankfurt and then turned to assist in the closing of the Ruhr Pocket. In April it continued east, encircled Leipzig and secured a line along the Mulde River. The division was shifting south to Czechoslovakia when the war in Europe ended on V-E Day in May 1945.

Following the end of the war, Kouma decided to stay in the Army. He was moved to South Korea for occupation duties before being moved to Japan for the post-war occupation of that country. Eventually, Kouma was assigned as a tank commander in A Company, 72nd Tank Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division, which was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington. By this time he had a home in Penobscot County, Maine when he was not at Fort Lewis.

Korean War


Following the outbreak of war between North Korea and South Korea on June 25, 1950, the United States mobilized a large contingent of troops to send into the beleaguered country. Initially, units occupying Japan were called in to the country, but forces were eventually dispatched from the United States. In August 1950, Kouma, who was then a Sergeant First Class, sailed for Korea along with much of the 2nd Infantry Division. It arrived there in late August and was moved into line at the Pusan Perimeter, where US troops were fighting a tight defensive line around the port city of Pusan.

The North Korean People's Army, meanwhile, was preparing for a September offensive by capturing the Miryang and Samnangjin areas to cut off the US 2nd Division's route of supply and withdrawal between Daegu and Busan. However, the North Koreans were unaware that the US 2nd Infantry Division had recently replaced the US 24th Infantry Division in positions along the Naktong River. Consequently they expected lighter resistance; the 24th troops were exhausted from months of fighting but the 2nd Division men were fresh and newly arrived in Korea. They had only established their lines shortly before the North Koreans began the attack. The North Koreans began crossing the Naktong River under cover of darkness at certain points. On the southern-most flank of the US 9th Infantry Regiment river line, just above the junction of the Nam River with the Naktong, A Company of the 1st Battalion was dug in on a long finger ridge paralleling the Naktong that terminates in Hill 94 at the Kihang ferry site. The river road from Namji-ri running west along the Naktong passes the southern tip of this ridge and crosses to the west side of the river at the ferry. A small village called Agok lay at the base of Hill 94 and 300 yards (270 m) from the river. A patrol of tanks and armored vehicles, together with two infantry squads of A Company, 9th Infantry, held a roadblock near the ferry and close to Agok. On the evening of August 31, A Company moved from its ridge positions overlooking Agok and the river to new positions along the river below the ridge line.

Medal of Honor action

That evening Kouma led the patrol of two M26 Pershing tanks and two M19 Gun Motor Carriages in Agok, along the Naktong River. Kouma placed his patrol on the west side of Agok near the Kihang ferry. At 20:00 a heavy fog covered the river, and at 22:00 mortar shells began falling on the American-held side of the river. By 22:15 this strike intensified and North Korean mortar preparation struck A Company's positions. American mortars and artillery began firing counter-battery. Some of A Company's men reported hearing noises on the opposite side of the river and splashes in the water.


At 22:30 the fog lifted and Kouma saw that a North Korean pontoon bridge was being laid across the river directly in front of his position. Kouma's four vehicles attacked this structure, with Kouma manning the M2 Browning .50-caliber machine gun atop the tank. As the gunner fired the tank's main cannon, Kouma sank many of the boats attempting to cross the river with his machine gun. At 23:00 a small arms fight flared around the left side of A Company north of the tanks. This gunfire had lasted only two or three minutes when the A Company roadblock squads near the tanks heard over the field telephone that the company was withdrawing and that they should do likewise. Kouma instead opted to act as a rearguard to cover the infantry. He was wounded shortly thereafter in the foot reloading the tank's ammunition. He quickly fought off another North Korean attack across the river with his machine gun.

Kouma's force was then ambushed by a group of North Koreans dressed in US military uniforms. Kouma was wounded a second time, in the shoulder, as he beat back repeated North Korean crossings on his machine gun. Several strong attacks came within meters of the tank, but Kouma was able to drive them back despite his wounds. Eventually, the other three vehicles withdrew or were neutralized, and Kouma held the Agok crossing site until 07:30 the next morning with his tank. At one point, the tank was surrounded and Kouma had to engage the North Koreans with machine gun fire at point blank range. After the tank gun's ammunition was expended, Kouma used his pistol and grenades to hold off the North Koreans. The tank then withdrew 8 miles (13 km) to the newly-established American lines, destroying three North Korean machine gun positions along the way. During his action, Kouma had killed an estimated 250 North Korean troops. His actions in this fight alone surpassed the highly-decorated US Army soldier Audie Murphy, who was credited with 240 kills during World War II, and who had been the second most decorated US soldier in the war.

Once he returned to his unit, Kouma attempted to resupply his tank and return to the front lines. Instead, the wounded Kouma was ordered to evacuate for medical treatment. As he was being evacuated, Kouma again requested to return to the front lines.


Subsequent Career and Retirement


Kouma was returned to duty three days later. Shortly thereafter, he was promoted to Master Sergeant, and evacuated to the United States, to be presented with the Medal of Honor for his actions. Originally, Kouma had been awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, but that award was upgraded to the Medal of Honor.

On May 19, 1951, Kouma was presented the Medal of Honor by US President Harry S. Truman in a ceremony at the White House. He got his medal alongside Carl Dodd and John Pittman, two other 2nd Infantry Division soldiers who were awarded the medal. After being awarded the medal, Kouma served as a recruiter in Omaha, Nebraska. Kouma then spent the remainder of the Korean War as a tank gunnery instructor for the US Army Armor School at Fort Knox, Kentucky.

Following the end of the war, Kouma remained in the Army. He served a second tour of duty as a recruiter, and then two tours as a tank commander, first at a unit in Fort Carson, Colorado, and then with a second unit in Germany. Though he remained in the Army for 31 years, Kouma did not see combat after his time in Korea. Kouma retired in 1971 at the age of 52, and lived a quiet life in McDaniels, Kentucky, after retirement. Kouma died on December 19, 1993, and was buried in the Fort Knox post cemetery. The Tank Platoon Gunnery Excellence competition at Fort Knox was subsequently named in Kouma's honor.There is a dining facility named in his honor at Fort Knox on Eisenhower Road.


 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

 Unit Assignments/ Advancement Schools
9th Armored DivisionKorea Military Advisory Group (KMAG)2nd Infantry Division72nd Tank Battalion
US Army Recruiting Command (USAREC)Basic Airborne Course (BAC) Airborne School
  1940-1941, The Armored Force School (Staff) Fort Knox KY
  1941-1945, 616, 9th Armored Division
  1945-1946, Korea Military Advisory Group (KMAG)
  1946-1951, 2nd Infantry Division
  1946-1951, 1795, A Company, 72nd Tank Battalion
  1951-1952, 1935, US Army Recruiting Command (USAREC)
  1952-1954, 1795, Basic Airborne Course (BAC) Airborne School
  1954-1960, US Army Recruiting Command (USAREC)
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1944-1945 WWII - European-African-Middle Eastern Theater/Rhineland Campaign (1944-45)
  1944-1945 Ardennes Alsace Campaign (1944-45)/Battle of the Bulge
  1944-1945 Rhineland Campaign (1944-45)/Siege of Bastogne
  1944-1945 WWII - European-African-Middle Eastern Theater/Ardennes Alsace Campaign (1944-45)
  1945-1945 Central Europe Campaign (1945)/Battle of the Ruhr Pocket
  1945-1945 Central Europe Campaign (1945)/Victory in Europe Day (VE Day - 8May45)
  1945-1946 US Occupation of Germany (WWII)
  1950-1950 Korean War/UN Defensive (1950)
  1950-1950 Korean War/UN Offensive (1950)
Copyright Togetherweserved.com Inc 2003-2011